The undefeated champion is no longer in custody, the detention center says
He is released after serving two months of a three month sentence
His sentence was for a domestic violence conviction last year
Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. has been released from a Las Vegas detention center after serving two months of a three-month sentence for a domestic violence conviction, a detention center official said early Friday.
Video from CNN affiliate KVVU showed Mayweather leaving the facility.
The official from the Clark County Detention Center said Mayweather was no longer in custody. No explanation of why Mayweather was released before the end of his sentence was given.
The undefeated boxer was convicted last year after the police said he punched the mother of his children at his home.
The high-profile athlete was to be kept in isolation from the facility’s 3,000 other inmates, the police said when he was booked into the detention center in June.
“He will receive one hour free time per day by himself,” the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in a news release at the time.
Mayweather had been set to go to jail earlier in the year, but a Nevada judge pushed back his reporting date so that the boxer could compete last month against WBA super-welterweight champion Miguel Cotto.
Mayweather, whose nickname is “Money,” won a unanimous decision in the Las Vegas fight, which paid him $32 million.
A Michigan native, Mayweather has won seven titles in various weight classes since turning pro in 1996.