Story highlights

A photographer says Justin Bieber attacked him at a shopping center

Sheriff's investigators have given their findings to prosecutors

The photographer complained of pain and was taken to a hospital last month

(CNN) —  

Los Angeles prosecutors are reviewing Justin Bieber’s alleged fight with a photographer last month to decide if the pop star will be charged, a spokeswoman in the prosecutor’s office said Wednesday.

The photographer filed a complaint with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department accusing Bieber, 18, of misdemeanor battery, a sheriff’s spokesman said.

He said Bieber attacked him as he was taking photos of Bieber and his girlfriend, Selena Gomez, at a Calabasas, California, shopping center, a sheriff’s spokesman said.

Bieber and Gomez, 19, left the shopping center before law enforcement officers arrived.

The photographer complained of pain and was taken to a hospital, where he was treated and released, the sheriff’s spokesman said.

Sheriff’s investigators have turned over their findings to prosecutors, Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Jane Robison said.

CNN’s Carolyn Sung contributed to this report.