Madonna Badger is suing the City of Stamford for property damage
City determined home unsafe and tore it down two days after a fire
Fire, which broke out early Christmas morning, killed five people
The Connecticut mother who lost her parents and three daughters in a December house fire will sue Stamford officials, according to a legal notice submitted to the Stamford city clerk’s office.
The document states, through her attorney, that Madonna Badger is suing the City of Stamford for property damage, personal injury, negligence and civil rights violations. Badger claims the city and some of its employees destroyed her home and its contents, valued in excess of $3 million, “without notice, warning or just compensation.”
The city determined the large Victorian home was unsafe and tore it down two days after the fire
The claim also states that the negligence and wrongful actions of the city and some of its employees involved in the home’s destruction resulted in the intentional destruction of evidence. The destruction of this evidence prevents Badger from recovering compensation for the “extreme emotional distress and mental anguish” she suffered, according to the document.
Frank Corso, Madonna Badger’s attorney, declined to comment. Stamford city officials were not immediately available for comment.
Badger also hopes to hold the city liable for the claims made by ex-husband Matthew Badger on May 4, 2012.
Through his attorneys, Matthew Badger issued a notice of intention to sue the city of Stamford for grievances related to the alleged wrongful issuance of construction permits and the negligent and incomplete inspections of the home during its construction.
“The claimant suffered damages … including but not limited to the wrongful death of the Children [and] emotional/psychological suffering and distress,” states the document.
The fire, which broke out early Christmas morning, may have been caused by smoldering embers removed from a fireplace, local authorities say.
Lily, 10, and 7-year-old twins Grace and Sarah Badger died in the fire along with their grandparents, Lomer and Pauline Johnson on Christmas Day.