Ayla Reynolds has been missing since December.
Ayla Reynolds has been missing since December.

Story highlights

Forensics team in Maine analyzing items found behind office complex in Waterville

They hope to determine whether they are linked to missing Ayla Reynolds

Maine police refused to describe the items or say how many were recovered

Ayla was 20 months old when she went missing in December

New York CNN —  

A forensics team at the Maine State Police lab is analyzing items found in Waterville that could be connected to the case of Maine toddler Ayla Reynolds, who disappeared from her home in December, according to a spokesman for the Maine State Police.

“They were found yesterday (Wednesday) by a worker behind the old Hathaway complex,” Maine State Police spokesman Stephen McCausland told CNN. The building is now an office complex that formerly housed a Hathaway clothing factory.

He refused to describe the items or say how many were recovered.

The worker called police to report the items and have them collected on Wednesday morning after making the discovery.

“We have no false expectations out there,” McCausland said when asked whether the items are linked to Ayla Reynolds.

“We don’t know if the items are connected, or what this is,” he added.

McCausland says a worker found the items in a sluiceway, a channel that handles runoff from the Kennebec River that separates Waterville, where the little girl lived, from Winslow to the east. There’s a dam nearby the scene.

Police divers searched that part of the river before, McCausland said. “We dived it twice, if not in that specific spot,” he added.

Divers scour frigid waters for missing Maine toddler

He says the discovery is among “hundreds of other items” recovered that are also being processed by the state police crime lab in Augusta, Maine.

Ayla was 20 months old when she went missing from her grandmother’s Waterville home while in the care of her father. Ayla’s father, Justin DiPietro, told police he put his daughter to bed at 8 p.m. December 16 in the first-floor bedroom. He called police the next morning, just before 9 a.m. to report her missing.

No arrests have been made related to Ayla’s disappearance, and no one has been identified as a suspect.