Chavez says he's heading for Venezuela

Cuban President Raul Castro, left, greeted Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez upon his arrival last week.

Story highlights

  • "Taxiing on the runway. Toward the south!" Chavez posts on Twitter
  • Venezuela's vice president says Chavez's radiation treatment was successful
  • The Venezuelan president has been in Cuba since March 25
  • Doctors there have operated on him twice to remove cancerous tumors
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said in a Twitter post Wednesday night that he was heading back to his country after a round of radiation treatment in Cuba.
"Taxiing on the runway. Toward the south! ... Long live Venezuela!" a post on the president's official Twitter account said, several hours after officials announced he would be returning.
In a string of posts, Chavez said he had finished his second round of radiation treatment and thanked Cuban leaders for hosting him.
Earlier Wednesday, Venezuelan Vice President Elias Jaua said Chavez's second round of radiation therapy was successful and that the president would return to Venezuela on Wednesday.
Chavez has been in Cuba since March 25. He began a phase of radiation treatment the next day. Doctors in the Caribbean island nation have operated on him twice to remove cancerous tumors, Chavez has said.
The 57-year-old president has not specified the type of cancer he is battling, and the government has released few specifics, fueling widespread speculation about his health and political future.
The outspoken, flamboyant socialist leader has led Venezuela since 1999 and has pledged to run for re-election in October.
Venezuela's foreign ministry said Wednesday that Chavez spoke about his health in a lengthy phone conversation the day before with former Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula Da Silva, who recently announced that his own cancer had gone into remission.
"President Chavez told his brother Lula that the treatment is going very well, and so is the political and economic situation of Venezuela," Venezuela's foreign ministry said in a statement summarizing the phone conversation.