Ex-International Monetary Fund chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn is not allowed to have contact with others involved in the probe.

Correction: Earlier versions of this story reported incorrectly that Dominique Strauss-Kahn had been charged with aggravated pimping. He is in fact at a legal stage between arrest and possible charges, and has been warned by prosecutors that he is under investigation. We regret the error.

Story highlights

Dominique Strauss-Kahn was released under a 100,000 euro bail

He is warned over "aggravated pimping" investigation

His lawyers have called the allegations "sensationalist and not without a political agenda"

The former IMF chief was questioned by French police last month

CNN  — 

Lawyers for Dominique Strauss-Kahn pushed back Tuesday against allegations that he facilitated prostitution in France, saying there was “no significant evidence” the former International Monetary Fund chief knew young women at parties he attended were being paid for sex.

He is not allowed to have contact with other people involved in the investigation, nor is he permitted to talk to the media about the case. Strauss-Kahn was released under a €100,000 ($133,000) bail, according to prosecutors.

Strauss-Kahn is now at a point in the French legal system that comes after an arrest and before formal charges are filed.

Earlier in the day, he was questioned by a judge about his alleged involvement in the ring. The meeting was initially scheduled for Wednesday.

A spokesperson for the judge told CNN it was the judge’s decision to change the date, but did not say why the decision was made.

He faces allegations of habitual involvement in a prostitution racket.

Frederique Beaulieu, another lawyer for Strauss-Kahn, said Tuesday: “You have to remember that in our country having relations with a prostitute is not a crime.”

His attorneys released a statement in November calling the allegations against their client “unhealthy, sensationalist and not without a political agenda.”

The prostitution probe, nicknamed the “Carlton Affair” by the French press, kicked off in October.

It centers around the city of Lille, w3here investigators began looking into claims that luxury hotels, including the Carlton, served as a base for a high-profile prostitution network.

In December, Strauss-Kahn’s attorney Leclerc acknowledged in an interview with radio station Europe1 that his client attended sex parties, but said Strauss-Kahn was unaware the women in attendance were prostitutes.

While prostitution is not illegal in France, profiting from the prostitution of another person is against the law, according to the French Penal Code. Authorities are also investigating whether corporate funds were used to pay for the prostitutes. In the December Europe1 interview, Leclerc said there is no evidence that such funds were misappropriated.

A hotel manager and four other men were arrested late last year in connection with the investigation.

The Carlton Affair continues a string of sexual allegations against Strauss-Kahn. He has not been convicted of any crime.

One of the sex scandals torpedoed his expected run for the French presidency this year. He stepped down from the top job at the IMF after that incident, in which a New York hotel maid accused him of sexual assault and attempted rape in May. He denied the accusation.

He stepped down from the top job at the IMF after a New York hotel maid accused him of sexual assault and attempted rape in May. He denied the accusation.

The case ultimately fell apart after prosecutors decided they could not be sure about the credibility of the alleged victim, despite forensic evidence that showed a sexual encounter had occurred.

Strauss-Kahn also faced allegations of attempted rape from a young French writer. Tristane Banon filed a complaint, alleging a 2003 attack, though it could not be pursued because of a statute of limitations.

Strauss-Kahn denied the allegations and has since filed a countersuit in France, alleging slander.

CNN’s Brian Walker contributed to this report.