Story highlights

Woman accused of stealing $91 worth of jewelry and Christmas ornaments

The victim tried to stop her from fleeing, sustained injuries from seashell ornament

Ruth Wagner, 55, posted $100,000 bail and was released

(CNN) —  

One sticky fingered thief gave the Grinch a run for his money this weekend at a local Christmas fair.

Police arrested a Connecticut woman who stabbed another woman with a Christmas ornament at a local craft fair, according to the Southington Police Department.

Officers arrested Ruth Wagner, 55, of Plantsville, Connecticut, after responding to reports that a woman had allegedly stolen $91 worth of jewelry and Christmas decorations from vendors and then fled when confronted.

Sgt. Lowell DePalma says Wagner and the victim were attending a Christmas fair at the Aqua Turf, a local banquet hall, on Sunday when the attack occurred.

“An officer spoke to one of the vendors who saw [Wagner] lingering by her table. [Wagner] seemed suspicious and the vendor noticed several items missing from her booth.” DePalma said.

When the vendor confronted her, Wagner took off running. As the vendor started screaming, “Stop her!” another woman blocked Wagner from leaving. Police say at that point, Wagner, desperate to escape, used a stolen seashell ornament and repeatedly stabbed the victim in the arm.

According to DePalma, Wagner escaped in her vehicle, but witnesses were able to spot her license plates, which ultimately helped police identify the sticky-fingered stabber.

Though her injuries were not life-threatening, the victim sustained a “substantial wound” from a piece of the seashell ornament which was left in the victim’s arm.

The victim was transported via ambulance to Bradley Memorial Hospital where she was treated and released, police say.

Wagner was arrested later Sunday afternoon and charged with first degree larceny, second degree assault, first degree reckless endangerment, second degree breach of the peace and sixth degree larceny.

She posted $100,000 bail and was released, according to Southington Police Department documents.

Wagner is awaiting arraignment at the Bristol Superior Court on December 5, according to Bristol Superior Court clerk Tamara Steele.

The manager of Aqua Turf could not be reached for comment.