Authorities had information that Arthur Eugene Morgan III might be staying with friends in East San Diego.

Story highlights

NEW: Prosecutor: Authorities will request the suspect's transfer to New Jersey

Arthur Eugene Morgan III was arrested on Tuesday in San Diego

His daughter's body was found in a New Jersey stream on November 22

Prosecutor: It appears the child and car seat were thrown from an overpass

CNN  — 

A fugitive task force in San Diego Tuesday captured a New Jersey man who is suspected in the death of his 2-year-old daughter, authorities said.

The FBI had issued a nationwide manhunt for Arthur Eugene Morgan III, who was charged with homicide in Monmouth County, New Jersey.

A tip from authorities in New Jersey led investigators to Morgan, the U.S. Marshals said in a statement.

“U.S. Marshals in San Diego received information from New Jersey authorities that Morgan may be staying with friends in East San Diego,” the statement said.

Authorities will request Morgan’s transfer to New Jersey to face the homicide charge, Monmouth County Prosecutor Peter E. Warshaw Jr. said in a statement.

On November 22, a group of boys discovered the body of Morgan’s daughter partly submerged in a stream in Shark River Park in Monmouth County, officials said. She was strapped into her car seat, CNN affiliate WABC reported. The stream runs beneath an overpass, suggesting that the child, Tierra Morgan-Glover, and the car seat were thrown from the overpass, said Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher Gramiccioni.

Morgan was supposed to return the child to her mother the night of November 21 following a custody visit, Gramiccioni said. When he didn’t return the girl, prosecutors in Ocean County charged him the next morning with endangering the welfare of a child and interfering with child custody. The girl was found dead about 20 hours later, WABC reported.

“Although the victim was a small person, our team of investigators is treating this case as if she were one of our own daughters,” FBI Public Affairs Officer Bryan Travers told CNN.

CNN’s Deborah Feyerick and Kendall Green contributed to this report.