NEW: Two NTC spokesmen say the report is not confirmed; a third denies it
Mutassim Gadhafi taken after firefight in Sirte, says leader of revolutionary council
Previous reports of captures of Gadhafi relatives have proven untrue
Mutassim Gadhafi, a son of ousted Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, was reported captured Wednesday after a four-hour firefight in Sirte, said Abdallah Naker, the head of the Tripoli Revolutionary Council, who cited field commanders in Sirte as his sources.
But two senior National Transitional Council spokesmen said the report was unconfirmed and a third reportedly denied the claim.
Col. Ahmed Bani, the official spokesman for the Ministry of Defense, said the capture had not been confirmed. And NTC spokesman Shamsiddin Abdulmolah told CNN from Benghazi that the report had not been corroborated.
Abudlmolah said Hassan al-Droyee, NTC’s Sirte representative who is currently in Tripoli, denied the report.
Mutassim Gadhafi and a number of aides were captured around noon in an area considered the center of operations for Gadhafi loyalists, Naker said. They were then taken to Benghazi, he said. The scion had been directing operations in Sirte, the hometown of his father, which had been surrounded since Tuesday night, Naker said.
CNN teams in Tripoli and Sirte heard celebratory gunfire ring out as reports of the capture spread. From Benghazi, National Transitional Council spokesman Shamsiddin Abdulmolah said there was massive celebratory gunfire there, too.
Anti-Gadhafi forces have previously reported captures of Gadhafi relatives that proved to be untrue.
CNN’s Mohammed Fadel Fahmy contributed to this story