Replacement hired for TV weatherman found in tub with body

Story highlights

  • Keith Monahan to be KARK's new chief meteorologist, the station says
  • Brett Cummins resigned after being found next to a corpse in an empty tub
  • The incident occurred at a home outside Little Rock, Arkansas
  • The cause of the man's death is "undetermined," say police
An Arkansas TV station has officially replaced former weatherman Brett Cummins, a month after he was found in a tub next to a dead body, the station's news director said.
KARK has named Keith Monahan, who had been working at KIAH in Houston, as its new chief meteorologist, said news director Rob Heverling.
"As soon as we watched Keith, we knew he was a very good fit," said Heverling.
On the morning of August 7, Christopher Barbour said he awoke in his home outside Little Rock and found the body of 24-year-old Dexter Paul Williams in an empty tub, his face blue and purple and a chain around his neck, a Maumelle Police Department report said.
Cummins, 33, was asleep next to the corpse, whose head was lying behind the meteorologist's shoulder, Barbour told police, according to the report. The witness said that he awakened Cummins, who screamed after noticing Williams' discolored face and cold skin and ran to the living room, where he vomited next to the couch.
Days later, Cummins resigned from his job at the Little Rock-based station, his attorney Mark Hampton said.
Pulaski County Prosecuting Attorney Larry Jegley said Thursday that his office should know in the coming weeks if any charges will be filed in relation to Williams' death.
The night before the incident, Williams and Cummins arrived together at Barbour's house, Barbour told police. Once there, the three had drunk alcohol and snorted illegal narcotics, though Barbour could not identify the drugs, according to the report.
Maumelle police Lt. Jim Hansard said the manner of Williams' death remains "undetermined." He added that the medical examiner cited several contributing factors, including intoxication with methamphetamine and amphetamines.
The investigation remains open, and there is "no indication (from the medical examiner) in any way that there was a strangulation," said Hansard.