Unrest on tense day in West Bank

The violence erupted at a checkpoint leading from the West Bank to Jerusalem.

Story highlights

  • A death and injuries are reported amid clashes near Nablus
  • Youths in West Bank throw rocks and bottles at Israeli security
  • This comes as Mahmoud Abbas seeks U.N. recognition of Palestinian state
Violence erupted in the West Bank on Friday as several dozen Palestinian youths hurled rocks and bottles at Israeli security forces near Jerusalem and a man died during clashes near Nablus.
Protests in the West Bank are common occurrences on Fridays, the day of Muslim prayers.
These clashes unfolded on an emotional day in the region as Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas seeks U.N. recognition of a Palestinian state.
Israeli security forces were called in to break up rock throwing between the Israelis and 300 Palestinians near the village of Qusra, south of Nablus, the Israel Defense Forces said.
A riot ensued and security personnel used riot dispersal means and live fire, the IDF said.
"As a result, Palestinian sources reported that three rioters were injured. Initial reports suggest that one of them was wounded and subsequently, passed away," said the IDF, which was investigating the incident with the Palestinian Security Authority.
Husain Abu Rede, head of the Qusra village council, said the live ammunition fired by Israeli forces killed a 37-year-old man and wounded 10 other Palestinians,.
Young protesters threw rocks, bottles and molotov cocktails at a checkpoint separating Jerusalem from a refugee camp in Qalandiya, a location that's become synonymous with the Israeli occupation of the West Bank.
Israeli security personnel fired tear gas and rubber bullets and used ear-piercing alarms. Several injuries have been reported in the area, where 100 to 200 people gathered.
Police are also reporting that three Palestinian youths were arrested in Beit Hanina in East Jerusalem after they threw stones and lit tires. Two other youths were arrested in Jerusalem after they tried to enter forcefully into the Temple Mount. No one hurt.