Trial set to start for second man in deadly Connecticut home invasion

The murder trial of a second Connecticut man accused of killing a mother and two daughters during a 2007 home invasion will start Monday, despite a request from defense attorneys to move the trial.
According to motions filed with the New Haven Superior Court, requests from defense attorneys filed this week to move the trial to a different court and to limit testimony from the only survivor of the home invasion were denied by Judge Jon C. Blue on Friday.
Prosecutors allege that Joshua Komisarjevsky, along with Steven Hayes, invaded the Petit home in Cheshire, beat and tied up Dr. William Petit, raped and strangled his wife, Jennifer Hawke-Petit, molested one of their daughters, and set their house on fire before attempting to flee.
Hayes was sentenced to death in December after being convicted on 16 of 17 charges related to the home invasion.
In March, Komisarjevsky's attorneys filed a motion for the court to accept a guilty plea on the condition that he would be spared the death penalty, but the motion was denied, according to a ruling filed in the New Haven Superior Court.
During Hayes' trial, a court clerk read from writings of Komisarjevsky, describing the incident from a 40-page letter he wrote to author Brian McDonald in 2008.
"All were compliant," he wrote. "This time I took a risk, pulled the trigger, and the chamber was loaded. ... The Petit family passed through their fears and into terror. ... It was captivating, validating that this pain in me was real. ... I was looking right at my personal demon, reflected back in their eyes. ... Hayley is a fighter; she tried time and time again to free herself. ... Mr. Petit is a coward; he ran away when he thought his life was threatened, and ran away to leave his wife and children to madmen. ... I was cheated of my retribution, and so was Steve. ... I am what I am; I make no excuses. ... I'm a criminal with a criminal mind."
The reading continued, "Michaela, Hayley, and Jennifer, forgive me; I am damned. ... I can't believe I lost control; I hate myself/I love myself. ... I stand condemned."
Hayes forced Hawke-Petit to go to a bank and withdraw $15,000 from an account after finding evidence the account held between $20,000 and $30,000, authorities said.
The two daughters -- 17-year-old Hayley Petit and 11-year-old Michaela Petit, both of whom had been tied to their beds -- died of smoke inhalation. William Petit escaped to a neighbor's home.