Skip to main content

Documents that will be accepted at borders

  • Story Highlights
  • U.S. and Canadian citizens must present approved ID at land and sea borders
  • The new rule was originally scheduled to take effect more than a year ago
  • Some business and tourism groups fear the regulations will hurt business
  • U.S. border officials say electronic passport readers should expedite traffic
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Beginning Monday, U.S. and Canadian citizens who want to cross the border will have to present a passport or a very limited number of other travel documents.

Here's a rundown of what will be accepted:

  • A U.S. passport, a travel document issued by the State Department. Passports cost $100 for people 16 and older and $85 for those under 16.
  • A U.S. Passport Card, a card valid for entry to the United States by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda. It is not valid for international air travel. The cards cost $45 for people 16 and older, $35 for those under age 16, and $20 if requested with a new or renewed passport.
  • A "trusted traveler" card. The cards -- NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST -- are issued to pre-approved frequent border crossers, allowing them to use dedicated lanes to expedite their crossings.
  • An Enhanced Driver's License. Four states currently issue the cards, which denote both the holder's identity and citizenship. Those states are Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington.
  • More information can be found at

    What about Mexico?

    All Mexican nationals, including children, are currently required to present a passport with a nonimmigrant visa or other approved travel documents to cross the U.S. border. The new law will not change current practices.

    However, it will affect U.S. residents attempting to re-enter the country at the southern border. They will face the same document requirements as at the northern border.

    • E-mail
    • Save
    • Print