Skip to main content

Video: Suspect says Holloway's body dumped 'like an old rag'

  • Story Highlights
  • Report: Hidden camera captures suspect saying Holloway's body was dumped
  • Footage aired Sunday as part of reporter's story
  • On the tape, Joran van der Sloot claims Natalee Holloway died on the beach
  • Van der Sloot admits to making statements but says he was lying
  • Next Article in Crime »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

(CNN) -- An investigative judge said Sunday that sufficient reason exists to reopen the inquiry against Joran van der Sloot, a suspect in the 2005 disappearance of Alabama teenager Natalee Holloway from the island of Aruba.

Joran van der Sloot in November, awaiting transfer from the Netherlands to Aruba. He was later released.

The announcement came shortly after Dutch television aired a program in which Van der Sloot told a man he considered to be his friend that he was with the 18-year-old on a beach near her hotel when she died, and that he arranged for a friend to take her body to sea and dump it.

"He went out to sea and then he threw her out, like an old rag," he told Aruban businessman Patrick van der Eem on January 16.

Van der Eem recorded their conversations on hidden cameras installed in the Range Rover he was driving, according to the report that aired Sunday night.

Van der Sloot has acknowledged making the remarks, but told an interviewer last week that he was lying.

Aruba's chief prosecutor, Hans Mos, described the account that aired Sunday night as "very impressive," and announced that he was reopening the investigation. Video Watch CNN's Frederik Pleitgen report on the new video »

But the judge denied a prosecution request that van der Sloot, the son of a lawyer and judge in training, be detained in the Netherlands, where he is a student.

In a written statement, the Office of the Public Prosecutor said Sunday that it will appeal the judge's decision barring van der Sloot's arrest, but cautioned that the report does not necessarily solve the case.

Don't Miss

"There is a big difference between the reality of a courtroom and the reality of a television screen," it said.

On the program, van der Sloot tells the informant that Holloway and her friends had begged him to go out with them the night of May 29, 2005. So the Dutch student said he and two friends -- brothers Deepak and Satish Kalpoe -- met the women at a bar in Oranjestad. When they arrived, he said, the women appeared to have been drinking heavily and some of them were taking cocaine.

Holloway was on the island with about 100 classmates celebrating their graduation from Mountain Brook High School in suburban Birmingham, Alabama.

After declining an invitation from Holloway to dance on stage with her, he accepted an invitation from her to drink a shot of liquor from her navel as she lay on the bar, he said.

About 1 a.m. on May 30, he said, she agreed to leave the bar with him and the Kalpoe brothers, telling her friends that she would meet them back at the Marriott Hotel prior to their planned return flight the next day to the United States, he said.

She never arrived.

The three men had previously told authorities that they then drove to the beach with Holloway, leaving her there when she told them she wanted to stay.

But Van der Sloot gave a different account in the hidden-camera footage. He said he wanted to have sex with Holloway, but she told him she did not want to go to her hotel. Instead, she said, she wanted to see sharks, he told the informant.

The two brothers then used their car to drive Van der Sloot and Holloway to the beach by the hotel and left them, Van der Sloot said.

He and Holloway then had sex, he said. But as they were caressing each other, she started shaking, then said nothing, he said.

"All of a sudden, what she did was like in a movie," he said. "She was shaking, it was awful ... I prodded her, there was nothing."

He said he panicked and, when she did not appear to be alive, shook her but was unable to resuscitate her. He said he carried her body to a stand of trees, walked to a pay phone near the pool of the hotel and, instead of using his cell phone, called a friend who owned a boat that was tied up at a nearby dock.

Upon the friend's arrival, the two men carried Holloway's body to the boat, and the friend told Van der Sloot to go home, he said. The student then walked back to his house, where his father was asleep when he arrived about 15 minutes later, he recounted. He estimated the time at 2:30 a.m. or 3 a.m.

Van der Sloot said his friend showed up at his house later in the morning and told him he had carried the body out less than a mile from land and dumped it overboard.

He added that the incident with Holloway, whom he knew for only about two hours, has not bothered him.

"I didn't lose a minute of sleep over it," he said.

Last week, Van der Sloot called the Dutch television program Pauw & Witteman and acknowledged having made the comments, but said they were lies.


"That is what he wanted to hear, so I told him what he wanted to hear," Van der Sloot said. He said he held no ill will toward the reporter, Peter R. de Vries, who worked with the informant to record his conversations.

"He is just doing his job," he said. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

All About Natalee HollowayJoran van der SlootAruba

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print