Skip to main content
  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print

Vick fails drug test, under house arrest

  • Story Highlights
  • Vick's September 13 drug test shows marijuana use
  • Pretrial release conditions tightened; must stay home from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
  • Virginia grand jury indicts Vick and the three co-defendants on state charges
  • Vick already faces up to 18 months in prison after federal plea deal
  • Next Article in U.S. »
Decrease font Decrease font
Enlarge font Enlarge font

SUSSEX, Virginia (CNN) -- Suspended NFL quarterback Michael Vick must adhere to tightened restrictions after he tested positive for marijuana use, a federal judge said Wednesday.

Suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick tested positive for marijuana in a September 13 drug test.

Vick tested positive for the drug on September 13, a court document from the Eastern District of Virginia shows.

As a result, U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson ordered Vick to "submit to any method of testing required by the pretrial services officer or the supervising officer for determining whether the defendant is using a prohibited substance."

Those methods could include random drug testing, a remote alcohol testing system "and/or any form of prohibited substance screening or testing," the order said.

Vick, 27, must participate in substance abuse therapy and mental health counseling "if deemed advisable by the pretrial services officer or supervising officer" at his own expense, the order said.

Vick was also ordered to stay home between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., "or as directed by the pretrial services officer or supervising officer," the order said. He is to be electronically monitored during that time.

The conditions are to apply until Vick's sentencing, which is set for December 10. Read about the federal case against Vick »

"This is a very difficult time for Mr. Vick," said Billy Martin, Vick's lead defense counsel, in a written statement. "He will comply with the court's new conditions regarding release."

Vick faces a possible prison term of 12 to 18 months after his August guilty plea to federal conspiracy charges related to dogfighting on his property in Surry County, Virginia. The original terms of the pretrial release, set in July by U.S. Magistrate Dennis W. Dohnal, required that Vick not use narcotic drugs or other controlled substances unless prescribed by a doctor.

Vick's guilty plea in the federal case came after three associates -- Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, Virginia; Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta, Georgia; and Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Virginia -- admitted their roles in the operation and agreed to cooperate with prosecutors.

On Tuesday, a Virginia grand jury indicted Vick and the three co-defendants on state charges of running a dogfighting ring at the home. See a timeline of the case against Vick »

The Surry County grand jury brought two charges against Vick: one count of unlawfully torturing and killing dogs and one of promoting dogfights. Each is a felony charge that could result in a five-year prison term.


Vick will be arraigned October 3 in state court in Virginia.

Vick's attorneys say they are fighting the state charges on the grounds that he can't be convicted twice of the same crime. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

CNN's Eric Fiegel contributed to this report.

All About Animal CrueltyMichael Vick

  • E-mail
  • Save
  • Print