Review: Top 10 CD-RW drives
(IDG) -- This month's reshuffled chart entries reflect the double whammy of falling prices and the arrival of five new CD-RW drives -- including drives with 16X CD-R write speeds from Plextor and TDK. The latter, TDK's $250 16/10/40 VeloCD ReWriter, debuts at number two; but thanks to a $100 price cut, the Creative Labs CD-RW Blaster 12-10-32 jumps seven notches to edge past it and capture first place.
Top 10 CD-RW drives
1. Creative Labs CD-RW Blaster 12-10-32 MK4215: Creative's CD-RW Blaster is a solid, all-around 12X/10X/32X drive -- and it's a bargain compared with similar offerings.
2. TDK 16/10/40 VeloCD ReWriter: Great documentation and an installation video make this excellent performer a great buy for beginners.
3. Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32A: One of the best drives for audiophiles, and great for anyone who burns lots of CD-R discs or frequently backs up files to CD-RW.
4. LG Electronics CED-8120B: This quiet, sturdy drive features excellent overall performance and value, and should deftly handle most any task thrown at it.
5. Acer CRW1832A: Those looking for good performance at an attractive price will be pleased with this purchase. Just make sure you have a good grasp of how to install an internal CD-RW drive.
6. Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 9510i: The 9510i certainly provides ample hand-holding, making it a great choice for beginners to CD writing. However, more-experienced users will find the MyCD software limiting in the long run.
7. Plextor PlexWriter 16/10/40A: One of the best all-around performers on the market, the 16/10/40A is fast and reliable in every respect; audiophiles will appreciate Plextor's AudioFS drivers and lightning-fast audio extraction.
8. Pacific Digital PDC 8832ei: This model is a strong performer for its speed class, but for a little more you can buy a faster drive.
9. TDK 12/10/32 VeloCD ReWriter: The TDK 12/10/32 is a fast drive that's only slowed down by its software bundle for recording CD-R and CD-RW discs.
10. Sony Spressa Professional CRX140E/CH2: If you want a quick 8X/4X/32X drive, the Spressa Professional CRX140E/CH2 is a solid bet.
Hewlett-Packard pushes CD-RW
RELATED IDG.net STORIES:
Top 10 digital cameras
Creative Technology Ltd.
Study: Gadget sales flat
Protest slams Dell's use of prison labor
Steve Jobs keeps Apple in the limelight
N. Y. plans to heal skyline
Stocks rise on Case departure
Lieberman's presidential announcement today
New arrests may be linked to UK ricin scare
Jordan says farewell for the third time
Shaq could miss playoff game for child's birth
Ex-USOC official says athletes bent drug rules
|Back to the top|