ad info

 
CNN.com  U.S. News
myCNN | Video | Audio | Headline News Brief | Free E-mail | Feedback  

 

  Search
 
 

 
U.S.
TOP STORIES

California braced for weekend of power scrounging

Court order averts strike against Union Pacific railroad

U.S. warning at Davos forum

Two more Texas fugitives will contest extradition

(MORE)

TOP STORIES

Thousands dead in India; quake toll rapidly rising

Davos protesters confront police

California readies for weekend of power scrounging

Capriati upsets Hingis to win Australian Open

(MORE)

MARKETS
4:30pm ET, 4/16
144.70
8257.60
3.71
1394.72
10.90
879.91
 


WORLD

POLITICS

LAW

TECHNOLOGY

ENTERTAINMENT

HEALTH

TRAVEL

FOOD

ARTS & STYLE



(MORE HEADLINES)
*   U.S.
 MULTIMEDIA:
 E-MAIL:
 
 DISCUSSION:
  CNN WEB SITES:
CNN Websites
 FASTER ACCESS:
 TIME INC. SITES:
 CNN NETWORKS:
Networks image
 SITE INFO:
 WEB SERVICES:

Diallo's parents file $61 million lawsuit against New York police and city

mother
The suit was filed by Diallo's mother, Kadiatou (above) and his father, Saikou  

April 18, 2000
Web posted at: 12:56 p.m. EDT (1656 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The parents of Amadou Diallo, the West African immigrant slain by four undercover New York police officers last year, have filed a $61 million wrongful death lawsuit against the officers and the city.

The parents had promised to file the suit, which family attorney Anthony Gair said was filed Tuesday morning in the Bronx Supreme Court.

The suit accuses the police and the city of negligence for intentionally shooting Diallo, and for depriving him of his constitutional rights through excessive force, racial profiling and inadequate officer training.

  MESSAGE BOARD
 

The four white officers -- Edward McMellon, Sean Carroll, Richard Murphy, and Kenneth Boss -- confronted Diallo on Febuary 4, 1999, as he stood in the vestibule of his Bronx apartment. They fired 41 bullets at Diallo when they mistook his wallet for a gun; Diallo was struck by 19 of those shots and died at the scene.

Diallo, 22, who worked as a street vendor in Manhattan, was unarmed and had no criminal record since emigrating from Guinea.

A racially mixed jury acquitted the officers of murder February 25 after a monthlong trial in Albany, New York.

The Diallo family's suit asks for $20 million in damages plus an additional $41 million for pain and suffering, Gair said -- or $1 million for each bullet fired.

"Our main concern remains the federal government bringing criminal proceedings under the federal civil rights statutes," Gair said. "The only reason we filed at this time is the statute of limitations is due to expire."



RELATED STORIES:
Closing arguments next in Diallo murder trial
February 17, 2000
Defense to begin Wednesday in Diallo murder trial
February 8, 2000
Detective: Bullets fell from Diallo's body as it was lifted from scene
February 2, 2000
Opening statements set in murder trial of New York policemen
February 1, 2000

RELATED SITES:
New York City Police Department
Capital Region Justice For Diallo Committee


Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
 Search   


Back to the top   © 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.