from USA Today and The Wall Street Journal
1. "House of Sand and Fog"
by Andre Dubus III (Vintage) (F-P)
2. "The Brethren"
by John Grisham (Island) (F-P)
3. "We Were the Mulvaneys"
by Joyce Carol Oates (Plume) (F-P)
br>4. "Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life"
by Spencer Johnson (Putnam) (NF-H)
by Thomas Harris (Dell) (F-P)
6. "A Day Late and a Dollar Short"
by Terry McMillan (Viking) (F-H)
7. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
by J.K. Rowling; Illustrated by Mary GrandPre (Scholastic) (F-P)
8. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"
by J.K. Rowling; Illustrated by Mary GrandPre (Arthur A. Levine/Scholastic) (F-H)
9. "A Darkness More Than Night"
by Michael Connelly (little Brown) (F-H)
by Bill Phillips, Michael D'Orso (HarperCollins) (NF-H)
More top sellers from USA Today and the Wall Street Journal
Her spy, his wife
Bina Cady Kiyonaga is as interesting as her name. A gifted narrator, she could make even the most mundane existence sound fascinating. But Kiyonaga has a remarkable story to tell.
In her new memoir "My Spy," she chronicles her experiences as the wife of a CIA covert operative at the start of the Cold War. Add to this true-life intrigue the ethnic mish-mash of her marriage -- Bina comes from Baltimore Irish blood, while her husband Joe was Japanese born in Hawaii -- and the plot thickens considerably.
The storyteller is equal to the story, though she is loathe to share the spotlight. Interviewing this author felt much like reading her book -- an experience all at once sincere, outrageous, thoughtful and wickedly fun.
Previous visits to the cafe:
- 'Lucky' Julia Child plans new book on life in France - December 20, 1999
- Little Bighorn Remembered - November 3, 1999
- Dylan lyrics text for new Getty Museum book - September 29, 1999
- American history retold through letters, documents, articles & speeches - September 17, 1999
- Book traces the evolution of how we measure the universe - September 13, 1999
- Journeys of the spirit - August 20, 1999
- Finding heaven on earth in a quarter-hour - August 4, 1999
- Francis Bacon: A Retrospective - July 27, 1999
- New reference book based on how-to Web site - June 18, 1999
- Bringing space down to Earth - June 4, 1999
- Books for pet people - May 4, 1999
- New book on bread rises to the occasion - April 27, 1999
- A close look at Scotland, Ireland - January 25, 1999
- From Elvis to Phish, it's all rock 'n' roll - December 28, 1998
- Focus on religion - November 2, 1998
- Focus on women - September 17, 1998
- Focus on art, old and new - September 4, 1998