CNN TV
SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 10, 2009

Special Needs Students – Where's the Compassion?

Posted: 03:43 PM ET

Recently, I met a 16-year-old boy named Christopher. He is autistic, and his parents told me he has the mental capacity of a three to five-year-old child. I happen to have three nephews all under the age of five. Leo is four, and the twins are three. In some ways, Leo seems to have more verbal and social skills than Christopher. But still, like many four-year-olds, when he gets frustrated, he throws a temper tantrum. He flails his arms, he raises his voice, he even falls to the ground sometimes. We’ve all seen it, and we all know that is what four-year-olds do sometimes. When that happens, his parents don’t pounce on top of him, and hold him face down on the ground. They do not physically restrain him.

abbie

When Christopher gets frustrated, and cannot express himself by using his limited vocabulary, he acts very much like Leo. He might fall to the ground, and throw his arms up in the air, or even shout. His parents told me that when he acts like this at home, they give him his space, and then they console him. They never said it was easy, but insist they do not physically get on top of him to hold him down. But when Christopher acted like this at school, his teachers wrestled him to the ground. They pinned him down. I saw the video. It looked painful. He looked confused.

Christopher is special. He is a young child, trapped in a tall, strong 16-year-old’s body. This case is not unusual. There are six million special needs students in the U.S. But for some reason, there are no federal standards or guidelines about how teachers should handle special needs students when they act out in the classroom.

My question to you is not whether physical restraint should be used in the classroom. At this point – most people already know the argument.

I can only imagine how challenging it is for teachers these days – I think most people recognize that, but this is my question: Where is the basic compassion and empathy for students who need extra help?

Filed under: Abbie Boudreau • Special Investigations Unit

Anna20   July 12th, 2009 9:08 am ET

There isnt any compassion or empathy for our children in the school system. The schools are not following the Federal Laws that are in place now (IDEA). We need legislation & a system in place to hold these people accountable. This is abuse plain & simple where is the accountability?

Jean Bowden   July 13th, 2009 5:52 pm ET

I am a parent that has a daughter named ABBIE BOWDEN (just like your spelling which is so nice) and she is now age 22 years S
She was brutall restrained in a special needs public school program the same way Christopher was at age 10 (face down) She was being restrianed for non compliance and minor aggressions brought on by the teachers for using pointless repetitive negative token systems. I was on Court tv but no one really was interested then. WE DID get regulations passed in Massachusetts based on what happened to Abbie and a boy named MATT . WE HAVE video of this also. The teachers filmed it and gave us a horrific copy.

I want to help in Florida and other states . This poor child in your video was so abused and yes you mentioned this could cause death. There are many safe ways to avoid restraint and if needed much safer restriant. I would love to know where these teachers learned such dangerous methods. They caused that child such anxiety the more they did these things to him (just like my child who got very violent also)

]

Court TV Violent lessons

Andy   July 19th, 2009 5:01 pm ET

Where is the basic compassion and empathy for students who need extra help?

Lets see where is the compassion for the teacher who is required to deal with Special needs students in their class? I guess the compassion is in the special school NOT YET BUILT OR STAFFED for those autistic students who have limited speech abilities. I guess the compassion lies in the staff which is yet to be trained by a Federal system that does not always respond to the needs of the citizens or the rapid changes in society. I guess the compassion and empathy lies in the hearts of citizens which only care about the immediate issues which affect them and their famillies.

Tell you what put 25 of these students in one class with all 5 straight A students in a wealthy area, do this right across country and lets see how quickly accomodations are made to give these students the best trained staff and best equiped schools with the latest equipment/technology reaserch , medical support and guidence that they deserve to become contributers to society. I think then you will see compassion because everyone – School Administration, federal government , local government, parent councils and anyone else you can put in the mix. Once all these people/groups are involved you will see compassion and empathy. one must get all these on board before society is forced to see acknowledge the resources needed by these children/adults. The earlier the support the less money society will spend when they get older.

By the way the one liner " I can only imagine how challenging it is for teachers these days – I think most people recognize that..." the use this quote is what most would refer to as a daming with praise comment. This is problematic and she merely puts the onus on the teacher and not on the system. Teachers cannot be trained to do everything it is impossible. We do not expect a Nurse to be a Heart surgeon, is he/she capable of learning the generalized mechanics yes to some extent but the nurse is not the expert. All teachers are not expert social workers, physchologist, mothers , fathers, health aides etc. Teachers cannot do it all. The system must meet the teachers parents and students on part of the journey. So the author must address the issue of the deficits found in the system for special education students such as a lack of resources i.e schools or classrooms for these students to learn how to function in a socially acceptable manner. Save the backhanded comments for the system not the teacher.

Carla   July 21st, 2009 9:36 pm ET

How can anyone expect an underpaid, undereducated, ordinary teacher to deal with "special needs" such as these. These needs require specialized training, often one-on-one. It's not just a matter of compassion and empathy. It requires boat-loads of money PER student. Not many school districts have the kind of money it takes to hire specialized teachers, aides, etc. to handle these kinds of needs. The parents have had 16 years to learn what their son needs, requires, etc. They know the cues and clues to his behavior outbursts and have had MUCH trial and error on how best to resolve each incident. Remember back to your own school days. How would any of your ordinary public school teachers have that kind of knowledge and skill at the drop of a hat. It will take MONEY, TIME, EDUCATION, not compassion, empathy or judgement.

parent of child nearly killed by such abuse   July 22nd, 2009 5:35 am ET

Lack of training on part of teachers is not an acceptable excuse for repeated abusive and endangering restraints. Systemic failure does not excuse such actions.
Abuse is abuse. Endangerment is endangerment. These teachers should be held accountable. What they did in the video was criminal and shold be treated as such.
This was not a case of "acting in the moment". It was a repeated pattern. The teachers would better demand of their school districts that federal IDEA law be complied with re.Individualized education plan/ functional behavior assessment /related positive behavior intervention plan.
Better the teachers union refuse to work than to foster such abhorrent conditions.

Bonnie Jean Smith   July 22nd, 2009 11:02 am ET

All of these fears can be resolved with common sense and losing the f.e.a.r. – (false evidence appearing real) factor.

I know of many children in special education that did not cost the district's an "arm and leg" to educate, thus helping them obtain the tools to become independent productive citizens.

The cost only becomes prohibitive when pay contract schedules continue to increase and no one has money to pay our hard working educators what their contracts state.

I know many excellent educators that were not "freaked" out about having special needs students in their class....why? The special needs students were and always had been totally included with their regular education peers; since kindegarten.
Thus these students had natural supports/ natural friends ...yes ,even the special education students that were non verbal or had behavioral needs.

All of these special needs students , regular education peers knew about the special needs students disability { and did not treat them as "that poor child with a disability} accepted it as a natural part of the human experience, as all children do this naturally. Children do not look at disabilities as something that needed to be hidden in a separate classroom, in another part of the school building.

If schools and parent's have a positive relationship special needs children flourish along with their mainstream peers.... Without that relationship possiblities are never seen. And we absolutely do not need to spend millions of dollars to figure this out.......

Bonnie Jean Smith
Author
"How Big is the Fly? Asking the Right Questions"

parent of child nearly killed by such abuse   July 23rd, 2009 7:09 pm ET

"assisted relaxation restraint" !.........are you kidding me?
Typical whitewashing of the pervasive abuse taking place in some of our school systems which just do not buy into the thiry year old IDEA.

Jean Bowden   July 24th, 2009 12:23 pm ET

Dear Abbie. I am the mother of Abbie Bowden who was treated like Christpher when she was only age 10 years old in a public school in MA
Not only was my child treated bad but my husband and I were also treated bad for standing up for her rights. THe Police, The district Attorney all said it was a method to be used "ON THOSE KINDS OF KIDS" and a I was considered a trouble matter. However Abbie had a video also and her video helped a state regulation to pass regarding physical restraint training and safety in the State of MA
It is not a perfect law but at least since 2001 we have a regulatin that many states do not have like Florida

Jean Bowden   July 24th, 2009 12:27 pm ET

I JUST READ ANDY's Message and he is talking about things he does not understand.What ANDY does not realize is that Christopher and my child were in a classroom with teachers who were supposed to be experts on Autism. They were special teachers and trained and or educated to know that these kids have issues related to their disablity. This was not a mainstream classroom but a SCHOOL for children on the autism specturm. SO they made him worst and contributed to his anxiety like they did with my child at the time. SOme of these people are control freaks

Tonya Hayes   July 24th, 2009 1:50 pm ET

I live in Florida & have a 7 year old autistic son, Christopher. This story broke my heart. My son had a bad year in Kindegarten, and ended up regressing big time. But by the next year, with a new teacher & school, he started thriving again. It is hard as a working parent to really know what is going on at school. Now I know that the change in behavior is not just a phase and it really needs to be addresed ASAP! I have made it clear that no one is to put their hands on my son. If there ever is an explosive problem, put him in an empty room & call me immediately. No long time outs, no restraining.

Andy   July 24th, 2009 2:04 pm ET

To: Jean Bowden
I would like to say that I am truly sorry for the students that were restrained in such a manner. Can someone explain to me what a teacher is suppose to do if they have one child acting up in a class and maybe endangering others ?
should the teacher and students step out of the room? should the teacher call the parents to come to the school? I just dont understand what they are suppose to do? I dont believe children should be treated in manner that could cause death. Can someone tell me how a teacher is to handle this, I am truly lost . Why are we not looking at the methods taught to the teachers by the University officials. Why are we looking at the frontline worker and casting blame on them and not at the institutions which have taught them? It seems that everyones fight should start there. So why not go to our Deans of Education and get them on side.

Just a thought
Andy

Andy   July 24th, 2009 2:09 pm ET

To Carla

I think you have some good points and I am leaning towards agreeing with you. However I am waiting to see what Jean says about my last comment.

Andy

Jean Bowden   July 24th, 2009 2:33 pm ET

To andy and others
Yes there are some kids that might need to be restrained in the safest way possible. However certain schools use Restrraints as a therapy. Did you see the video of my child on UTUBE. ALSO that boy Christopher in his new school has not once needed to be restrainedl AND as the experts including the restraint training company they were not following protocol. What you do not see on these videos is what sort of things lead up to a kid acting like this. The teachers in the video with my child got her all anxiety ridden with a punitive negative token system. I am not against restraint when used in an emergency by trained staff. AND these restaint training companies are called CRISIS PREVENTION and they teach how to avoid restraint or use it as a last resort.

Andy   July 24th, 2009 2:54 pm ET

WHY is a restraint training company teaching educators how to restrain a child in a school setting. Should the company have such a contract with teachers. Here is my thinking. The company who is not attached to a University is teaching educatorshow to restrain. While the Universities teach the educators how to interact with the children. t would it not be better to have one institution teaching everything because then the teachers can be trained in an intergrated setting. although I realize teachers are capable of intergrating information. It just seems better to have them practice and apply situatiions all at the same time. I would assume these companies only specialize in restraint not in the working of the classroom. I think universities need to be involved in the process not just a company who specializes in the restraint process.

Andy

Andy   July 24th, 2009 3:04 pm ET

To Jean:
I think you need to think about changing your approach it always easier to yell at the customer service worker than the person who devised the methods of doing . Where did this teacher learn this negative tokenism that you speak about. Educators are learners. If you can start analyzing the Education programs that specialize in Autism etc. then one might have a better idea how the teacher might act in a situation. It 's just like X people graduate from University A you know they have trained in a certin way, in many cases it might provide some predictability because X school teaches this method. Lobbying for an intergrated learning situation at Universities might be a better approach.

Phyllis   July 24th, 2009 9:57 pm ET

Andy,

You asked whey these companies are teaching educators how to restrain children with disabilities.
The answer is because they are making a lot of money off the school districts that keep hiring them.

Mary   July 25th, 2009 2:54 pm ET

Restraint procedures are still commonly used as a response to behaviors rather than development of an appropriate behavior plan. If you are an educator who is restraining a student or a parent of a child that is being restrainted ask yourself, What does this response teach my student/childl? What affect is this having Psychologically on my student/child? The only way humans are going to change the way they view restraints is by media coverage like this. Keep up the work Abbie and take some time look into things in New Jersey.

Andy   July 28th, 2009 9:00 pm ET

Phyllis, Abbie and Mary
I realize that these companies are making alot of money teaching restraint procedures. I guess my real question goes back to the idea Why are we not looking at the the Universities who teach the teachers and advocate for intergrating teaching methods of safe restaint alnog with teacher education. Restraint companies should not be in the districts especially because they bring no understanding of the classroom. Pushing these companies out of the district is what every parent should be doing and advocating for intergrated setting for teachers to be taught.

Andy

Mary   July 30th, 2009 11:11 am ET

Andy,

I wanted to respond to your last comment directed to myself, Abbie and Phyllis.

Contracts are awarded to agencies who have warm relationships with School Districts. Parents do not have a "legal" choice as to who provides services to their child. If you are up for the challenge and are financially able, you can choose to take your District to court if you can prove the services being provided are inappropriate. I reside in the State of New Jersey and the education system is completely corrupt. Districts are not held accountable enough. They shrug their shoulders when you file complaints with the Department of Education because they only get a slap on the wrist. They simply do not care because penalties are not harsh enough. If you take a school district to court they have attorneys and experts paid by the taxpayers–an endless cash flow. Everyone involved is "on the clock", even the judges. That is, of course, except for us complaintants, the parents.

School Districts pay "Teams" at Universities(some Universities) to evaluate students. Universities never find fault in Districts who hire them to do evaluations. (Never bite the hand that feeds you.) The student will never educationally benefit from, or be protected by Districts and Universities that share the same bed.

I personally will continue my plight on behalf of my child and file complaints with the Department of Education, file for due process with the Office of Administrative Law and testify at the NJ State House until change happens. It's not an option for me not too. Restraints were used on my child without my permission or knowledge. Restraining a teenager who has the mental capacity of a toddler is appalling. Anyone who would do so surely has not been properly educated.

A major New Jersey University has recently been in to evaluate my child. When I asked their opinion regarding the use of restraints by my school district, I got no response. They will, however, follow up with their evaluation in writing. I'll post their formal response when I get it. Who knows, maybe I'll take your advice, and the next time I'm testifing on the matter I'll let the politicians writing the laws know what the Universities opinion on the matter was.

Andy   July 30th, 2009 11:32 am ET

Mary

I think you might be on the right road you have just let at least a few thousand people know the devil is in the details. One small project can get big results. Is Youtube and Face book, twitter , Ning an option for you ? You got fight the big guys with social media. The protest does not take place only in the streets or when a reporter or on a show chooses to broadcast your views. Show people and they will follow because you know that you are not the only parent who is going through this issue. I am not completely aware of this issue but it does not mean I cant see your side and their are others like me. Injustice is injustice even if it does not affect me or it is not in my backyard or happening to my kid. GO fight for the change you want to see.
Cheers

Dennis Junior   August 7th, 2009 6:29 pm ET

Than the compassion should come from the fact that; they are not in "Mental Instituations" like they were back in the early part of the 1960s and up to current day!

AnnaM   August 10th, 2009 11:13 am ET

Dennis Jr,

It is the year 2009 & thank God we have more knowledge & understanding of disablities, 49 years later. So what your saying is because our chidren are being afforded an education we should allow people to abuse them? Your comment shows your age & ignorance. There were a lot of things going on in the 60's that were due to ignorance & thank God are no longer happening.

No child desrves to be abused especially by the people who are entrusted to care for them!

AnnaM   August 10th, 2009 11:28 am ET

Andy,

What should be taught in the universities is classes on the various disabilities & how they could affect the child in the classroom.

There is no such thing as a safe restraint & restraint should be only for imminent danger. What is happening now is teachers do not understand how the childs disability affects them. They are getting frustrated & angry with the children & usng estraint & seclusion. This is abuse plain & simple. Teachers should be required to attend classes throughout the year on disabilities. CARD Center for Autism & Related Disabilities is a large organization that offers those classes. The classes are FREE so why arent educators taking advantage of that? CARD will come into the classroom & observe the child , offer recommendation's & educate the teacher on how to work with the children. They have to be invited in & school systems arent inviting them in. Why?

What is being done to our children is abuse & it needs to end. The staff who are doing it need to be prosecuted just as the parent's would be if we were doing this to our children!

Andy   August 10th, 2009 1:00 pm ET

Dennis Junior

I guess some people are just not happy with what others want to hand out to them. If we use your argument I guess women should not complain about not earning less money than men. African Americans should have been happy when society intergrated schools. Get a grip and dont be so simplistic in your thinking. Simplistic thinking has never helped anyone when we are talking about social justice.

Get GRIP!!!!

Ashley   August 28th, 2009 10:45 am ET

I agree with what the author is saying...my questions is where is the help to provide the extra supports needed...I am sure any school would be more than willing to help if only there was a way to afford it...I am a teacher in these kind of classes but I often found myself with little help and planty of reasons why it was NOT coming. I think once our nation sees these students as truly worth the efforts then more will be done.

Bill Bartmann   September 1st, 2009 11:20 pm ET

Cool site, love the info.

Shelby   September 25th, 2009 8:00 pm ET

To Anna 20 If there wasn't any compassion or empathy for children in the school system as you state, there wouldn't be any teachers of children with disabilities, such as autism. The job is tough and the pay is low. We do it because we feel the kids deserve the best.

Anna20   September 25th, 2009 8:31 pm ET

Shelby,

There are a lot of teachers doing it right but there are way to many doing it wrong. There are teachers in spec. ed who aren’t even qualified to be teaching children with disabilities. The schools don’t even tell the parents. You chose the profession & for those that decide it is to tough & want to start abusing children need to get out! You should be focusing your anger on those so called teachers who are giving you & others like you a bad name by abusing children.

There are a lot of stay at home mom's who can say the job is tough and the pay is low that but they aren’t abusing their children. If you are a good teacher & truly care about the children I applaud you. The other ones who are in the paper or who haven’t been caught yet ........... go find another job!

Jean Bowden   September 26th, 2009 3:50 am ET

In our district the special needs teachers get paid more than the regular education teachers. Many make close to $70,000 like the one in that video of my daughter being violently pushed to the floor for not following directions (see link to Violtent lessons in a previous post)
The aides are the ones that are not paid enough but the degreed teachers in MA are paid plenty and get raises each year
The pay is not low and they get benefits as do the other teachers.
Salaries of teachers are public record so I know what they make.

Andy   September 27th, 2009 4:13 am ET

We always have to go to teacher pay. Why do people have a problem with women ( yes women b/c most teachers are women) making an okay salary. $70,000 is not a ton of money for someone who decided to go to university, in many cases 70,000 is the top of the scale after 20 years of service. Remember people are taxed in adition to union dues, pension etc. We have to get over it , for those who have a problem with the salary, get over it and realize that the take home is not seventy thousand.

Andy

Jean Bowden   September 27th, 2009 6:29 am ET

I only commented on pay after others said that the pay was LOW.
The issue here is abusive methods of behavior control and or modification. That can happen no matter what the pay is if the staff is not properly understanding of the students needs and developmental level. Also that compliance and control are not the most important. The boy this CNN store is about is in a placment now that he doesn ot have to be treated this way since his anxiety is less and he is happier

Nick Cummings   October 27th, 2009 10:46 pm ET

I feel like teachers should do wat needs to be done to control these kids. If there is a problem with a student then the teacher should be able to do whatever needs to be done to control his or her classroom. These students should be under some special supervision at all times. Now I admit some teachers take it to far with the discipline thing as far as physically beating them. To concude i feel sorry for those students who do have special needs.

miti   November 1st, 2009 8:07 pm ET

I've worked with kids and adults with autism for years and years. No-one wants to restrain anyone, but sometimes, it's the only safe thing to do. Sometimes, non-compliance is the antecedent to severe agressive behavior and intervening then prevents the individual and others in the environment from being hurt. Token systems reward appropriate behavior and sometimes tokens are lost for exhibiting inappropriate behavior. Over time, with research and experience, we find out what works and what doesn't. Good educators use what works and when it is shown not to work, they no longer use it. Parents come to us asking for help and we do our best to help them.

Anna20   November 4th, 2009 6:52 am ET

posted by miti, "Sometimes, non-compliance is the antecedent to severe agressive behavior and intervening then prevents the individual and others in the environment from being hurt. "

If you are restraining children because you "think" they are going to become aggressive you are not following your training & should be fired. It is illegal to restrain for noncompliance there must be imminent danger (of course no one will hhold you accountable). I bet you lie on your incident forms also because I know you arent writing " the child was being noncompliant & I thought he was going to become aggressive". You can, will & should be sued if you are doing this. Shame on you ... the worse part is you actually think your doing these people with disabilities a favor. I would like to thank you for being ignorant enough to put that in a post. Make sure you start writing that in your incident reports.... Im sure the judge will be impressed with your psychic abilities.

Joan M.   November 4th, 2009 8:23 am ET

Restraint and seclusion can be very dangerous practices and can escalate behaviors in children with disabilities so why would you do something that is only making the child worse?
There is plenty of information that proves restraint and seclusion does NOT work but there is no scientific data that shows it does work long term and correct the behaviors.

If I am reading correctly and you are using restraint and seclusion for noncompliance issues you are not following your training that your school district has put you through and you should be written up or fired!

Restraint and seclusion should no longer be viewed as treatment options but rather as treatment failures because they risk lives, escalate behaviors and inflict emotional and physical trauma.

Jean Bowden   November 6th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

I cannot believe that I am reading what MITI wrote. I am pretty sure this the women who was at the MAY INSITUTE when that awful teacher worked there that did that to ABBIE. AND that they used restriants at that place and at the program Abbie was in for the reasons that she puts her her weird post here. THEY are such control freaks that when MATT did not do some pointless repettive task at a table (I HAVE THIS ON VIDEO) he lost his pennies and got mad. ABBIE was restrianed when she would not string bead and became non complaint (she was first forced into time out then it lead to restraint. NO MITI you are wrong a punitive token system is the worst thing and the tyoe of restraint that your friend YVONNE USED on ABBIE was DANGEROUS and CPI and others said she could of been killed DO YOU KNOW THAT or are you still defending that VIDEO of ABBIe. I HOPE TO god you all retire from ABA and working with kids. YOU are abusive and nasty people. FOR THOSE wanting to know what I mean see the video on UTUBE called VIOLENT LESSONS to see MITIS;s friend at work on my child and a boy named MATT .

Jean Bowden   November 6th, 2009 9:37 pm ET

hEY MITI
DID YOU restraint kids on the floor for this like your buddies. Did yhou also sit upon children and press their heads in the wall. did you leave bruises on the backs of their legs and almost kill them.
no more non compliant behavior with a dead child.
did you know that prone restraint kills peoople done the way yvonne and marcia did to abbie and matt.

Jean Bowden   November 6th, 2009 9:40 pm ET

PLEASE look at the video and tell me if this is a safe thing to do MITI
THANKS ANNA for defending the kids.

Jean Bowden   November 6th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

What happened to Abbie was in a public school but the teacher was trained by the MAY INSITUTE IN THOSE DANGEROUS RESTRAINTS. ABBIE DID NOT ATTEND THE MAY CENTER WHERE THIS MITI WORKED BUT THE STAFF DID COME FROM THERE TO THE PUBLIC SCHOOL.

Anna20   November 6th, 2009 10:21 pm ET

Jean.... You know what is really sad this happened to Abbie over 10 years ago & these animals are still doing this to children. We need laws "America" to protect our children from these animals. You have to be a complete idiot to think taking tokens away from children with various disabilities who earned them earlier will do anything other then escalate the situation. You are making children aggressive by restraining them because you "THINK" they may become aggressive. MITI do parents & children a favor & go work in the prison system. I would love to know who trained you? Please let the world know who is responsible for letting you loose on disabled chldren.

Jean Bowden   November 7th, 2009 5:16 am ET

Also in MA you have regulations for schools now thanks to my poor daughger and my working on that. THEY DO NOT ALLOW restraints to be used for the reason that she said. NO precursers to aggressive behavior as she is trying to say gives anyone the right to restraint
When you get into that is when it is being used as some sort of barbaric therapy. The police in our area were convinced BY the crowd who subscribes to this type of ABA (read MITI on restraint and taking away tokens) that restraint is a therapy for kids like abbie and got rigfht away fron exanining the type of deadly restraint used on Abbie and MATT. We have a restraint death at our local hopsital ER which is being investigated by the same police and DA. Whether in a school OR by security guards or a prision this is a serious matter and can cause DEATH,

andy   November 7th, 2009 6:32 am ET

evertone knows its the person with the letters after the name – Phd is what gewt things implemented into the school system. has anyone found a few Phd's who oppose this method. maybe team up and get something done. Change the mind of system in a stuctured manner

Anna20   November 7th, 2009 9:33 am ET

Andy,
We have the people with the initials, Phd & all. We are working diligently to change things. How do you think we are commenting on this story. When my son was injured 2 1/2 years ago national news organizatons would NOT touch these stories. The govenmet is fully aware & the GAO has a report about the abuse that's being done to our children by animals like the above poster. We are & have proven our point, now it's in the governments hands........ "We" started out as a handful of parents & now we are a large force & we are being heard. We are now waiting for the decisions but still pushing foward.
You offer a lot of good advice Andy, I have read your other posts. You must keep in mind this is a highly emotional subject for parents, may you never know what it is like to have someone abuse your precious child. "We" are left with the aftermath, the child who screams in the middle of the night from the nightares they have now. The child who wont go out in public because he may run into his attackers. My child 2 1/2 years later wont shower or go to the bathroom alone. He was ripped out of bathrooms at school & restrained, among other things. This is a very explosive topic, then we have MITI who thinks it's ok to hurt children on a hunch. Mitis mentallity is not isolated it is the norm. WAKE UP AMERICA!!!! WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE!!!
Restraint & Seclusion Awareness Video

Jean Bowden   November 7th, 2009 10:06 am ET

to all
The ABA behavior therapist are for the most part not into this sort of abuse BUT certain ones were trained in this. We hopefully do not have parents or guardians that buy into using restraint as a therapy. They are risking children;s lives many ways
I am for deternining triggers of behavior but using a punitive token system (giving someone something as a reward or to earn something ) then taking it away especially freaks out kids with Autism who have OCD
That is what led to Abbie being restrrianed and Matt in that video
THE TOKEN SYSTEM, These people are obessed with non compliance instead of working with the develiomental level of the person
Can you put the UTUBE one on this like you did that one above (the ones you did of abbie. I have no idea how to do that,

Anna20   November 7th, 2009 2:17 pm ET

Restraint & Seclusion – Deadly Restraints

Anna20   November 7th, 2009 2:21 pm ET

GAO RESTRAINT AND SECLUSION HEARINGShttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b_WqeIKJbk

Anna20   November 7th, 2009 2:22 pm ET

GAO RESTRAINT AND SECLUSION HEARINGS

Anna20   November 7th, 2009 2:23 pm ET

Restraint & Seclusion – Violent Lessons

D. V.   December 30th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

Hi, I have read all the blogs. I work at a school for emotional disturbed (ED) students. All staff is trained by the district rep with PRO-Act. You only restrain if they are a danger to themselves or others. There are many people who are only there for the money or for not the right reasons but for our class we are soley there for our students and it is such a blessing to see our students grow and make better choices. You also have to look at the parents who forget to give their children medication, who are not available when the child is having a crisis or the phones are disconnected. We try to be in contact with the family on a weekly basis. It is very important to have both intities involved. You have to remember that politics play a vital role in the public education system and thats why it is important to be involved with your school and the district. I work for a district but am now having to take them to court due to them not following my own childs IEP. Politics play a vital role in district. Go to board meeting!!!!! Let your voice be heard!!!!!!

Leave Your Comment

Comments are moderated by CNN, in accordance with the CNN Comment Policy, and may not appear on this blog until they have been reviewed and deemed appropriate for posting. Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted.

Powered by WordPress.com VIP