CNN TV
SCHEDULE ANCHORS REPORTERS CONTACT US
Inside the Middle East
April 30, 2009
Posted: 1239 GMT

Torture tape delays U.S.-UAE nuclear deal, say U.S. officials
WASHINGTON (CNN) - A videotape of a heinous torture session is delaying the ratification of a civil nuclear deal between the United Arab Emirates and the United States, senior U.S. officials familiar with the case said.

Generals held in Hariri killing walk free
BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) - Four generals held without charges since 2005 in connection with the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri were freed Wednesday on orders from the U.N. tribunal investigating the killing.

Dad of U.S. hunger striker in Iran questioned
TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) - The father of a U.S. journalist jailed for espionage in Iran said he was summoned to court Wednesday and questioned about his daughter's hunger strike.

Posted by:
Filed under: CNN Coverage •Iran •Lebanon •UAE

Randy   May 4th, 2009 7:36 pm ET

The Bible thumping Christians have no right to say anything about the punishments administered in the Middle East. They are the religious fanatics whose sacred writings say "a tooth for a tooth, an eye for an eye" or something like that. You can not pick and chose which verses of the Bible to quote and still have any validity

I am not guilty of that sin. I am agnostic and think the Bible a waste of paper. I can therefore with all validity criticize the United Arab Emirate and call them abhorrent.

GLeigh   May 5th, 2009 11:50 pm ET

I thump my Bible, time to time. No one mistakes me, usually as an ignorant person. God is basically three parts. God the father, the Old Testament, the master creator of all, tough, a judge – God the son, able to be with people, walking with Adam and Eve and born on Planet Earth to spend three decades – God the Spirit who gives life and understanding. They are one and different. People cannot go there, even Bill Graham had problems with it. Who can know the mysteries of God? Not me. Not you. Fanatics don't listen and love and forgive and try to adapt. That's my main grief with them. Life is never easy for a single person, even the rich, Hollywood people. Luckily it's not a permanent state of existance, or unluckily, depending on your perspective. People do need some way of coming together and discussing and working together for the future people, the kiddies. Tolerance of them and for them is probably a good thing. As a side not -–I consider agnostics, Northern Baptists as well as Southern Baptists, atheists, all those things a belief system; what some call a "religion."

GLeigh   May 5th, 2009 11:55 pm ET

I do think that it is a human and a humane responsibility to say if something is wrong or cruel and try to make changes – as a society. There are weak people and creatures, animals of land or sea or air, the sick, the misformed when they are born, women are physically weaker then men in weight lifting (some at least), the elderly, whoever. To not go there is either not caring, fear, or enjoyment of the cruelty to other. I don't the other options. Perhaps there are some. I'm open to it.

Robert   May 6th, 2009 2:29 pm ET

Wow Randy. I consider myself beyond fanatic but my bible doesn't take an eye for an eye. My bible tells me to turn the other cheek when someone hurts me and to wipe the dust off my feet when I'm not accepted.

You also have to remember that we live in a world where the state and church are separated. God has his reasons for war while man his own.

You misunderstood the "eye for an eye" gig, try learning the truth about death. I'll give you a hint...there are two types.

Debs2   May 8th, 2009 12:56 am ET

GLeigh,

Well said!!!

Salam and Shalom to all

GLeigh   May 9th, 2009 2:00 am ET

TY Debs2. That was very nice. I don't know if anyone ever bothers to notice what I write. It shouldn't matter. I live with myself, but for some reason, it just does matter a tiny bit. I should try to do this more myself, write others.

GLeigh   May 9th, 2009 2:07 am ET

Interesting Robert. Two types of death. Perhaps. Physical and spirit? I tend to agree. Lazarus apparently died for three days before God (the son) called him again. That's a long time. Even two hours is a long time, given the circumstances. Maybe some just have the experience thirty minutes, but don't you always wonder about Lazarus? What was he like afterwards? There are stories in Literature that speculate, but oddly, silence on facts. I think that he was probably pretty odd, in his own world, later.

GLeigh   May 9th, 2009 2:17 am ET

Randy – Just for the record, explain to me why Europeans are giving the people in Gaza fuel – it's a fuel region of the world. There are guys in Gaza who can labor? Most people, male and female, do it.

Professor   May 11th, 2009 10:47 pm ET

GLeigh,

So you do not think that the Israeli treatment of Palestinian is cruel and inhumane do you?

I know you don't and that where your hypocracy lies.

About this blog

This blog has now been archived and commenting has been switched off. Visit the Inside the Middle East site for news, views and video from across the region.

Read more about CNN's special reports policy