| CNN WEB SITES:
Today's Events | On Horizon | On This Day | Newslink | Notable | Almanac archive
Wednesday, September 30, 1998
- National Transportation Safety Board holds international symposium in Arlington, Virginia, on role of government and industry caring for victims and families following major transportation disasters.
- Trial of Washington state's $6 billion lawsuit against tobacco industry scheduled to begin in Seattle.
- Former President George Bush speaks at the Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize luncheon in New York.
- NASA to hold media viewing at Cape Canaveral, Florida, of its "Deep Space 1" spacecraft for scientific space missions in 21st century.
- Last day of 1998 World's Fair in Lisbon, Portugal.
- Thursday, October 1, Hearing scheduled in Camp LeJeune, North Carolina, in case of the pilot and navigator of a Marine jet that clipped an Italian ski gondola in February 1998, killing 20 people.
- Friday, October 2, Pope John Paul II visits Croatia.
- Saturday, October 3, Willie Nelson, Brian Wilson, Neil Young and Hootie and the Blowfish among performers set for Farm Aid '98.
- Sunday, October 4, Tipper Gore leads 12th annual AIDS Walk in Washington.
- Monday, October 5, House Judiciary Committee may vote on resolution to begin impeachment hearings against President Clinton.
Visit baseball's best. Click here.
- Singer Deborah Allen is 45.
- Actress Crystal Bernard ("Wings") is 34.
- Actress Angie Dickinson ("Dressed to Kill") is 67.
- Actress Deborah Kerr ("From Here to Eternity") is 77.
- Former Georgia Gov. Lester Maddox is 83.
- Singer Johnny Mathis is 63.
- Singer Marilyn McCoo is 55.
- Olympic gymnast Dominique Moceanu is 17.
- Former U.S. Senator James Sasser is 62.
- Actor Eric Stoltz ("Pulp Fiction") is 37.
- Actress Victoria Tennant ("Winds of War") is 45.
- In 1568, John III is proclaimed King of Sweden by army and nobility on deposition of Eric XIV.
- In 1787, sailing ship Columbia leaves Boston on first voyage around world by an American vessel.
- In 1868, Spain's Queen Isabella flees to France and is declared deposed.
- In 1946, international military tribunal in Nuremberg, Germany, finds 22 German Nazi leaders guilty of war crimes, and 11 are sentenced to death.
- In 1955, French delegates to U.N. General Assembly walk out after assembly decides to take up question of unrest in Algeria.
- In 1966, Republic of Botswana gains independence from Britain.
- In 1993, earthquake rocks southern India, killing more than 9,740 people.
- In 1997, the United States and Cuba hold their highest-level talks in six years.
Back to the top
© 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.