| CNN WEB SITES:
Today's Events | On Horizon | On This Day | Newslink | Notable | Almanac archive
Wednesday, September 23, 1998
I do hope that when we in the Congress, both in this body -- when responsibilities come to the Senate -- and the other body, in the House of Representatives, there will be an approach which is bipartisan and nonpartisan in nature.
Sen. Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania Republican
- South African President Nelson Mandela meets with members of Congress and is set to receive a congressional Gold Medal.
- House Judiciary subcommittee hearing on gun control vs. individual rights. NRA Chairman Charlton Heston is among the witnesses to appear.
- President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore are among scheduled speakers for the Hispanic Caucus Institute Gala in Washington.
- Auction in Fredericksburg, Virginia, of Berclair Plantation, a sprawling mansion once owned by George Washington's brother and the families of other former presidents.
- NASA sponsors Challenge Mission, an eight-day deployment of the Carpenter Space Analog Station on the sea floor off Key Largo, Florida.
- Country Music Association awards presentation in Nashville, Tennessee.
- On Thursday, September 24, U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno hosts national "Summit on School Violence and Kids" in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- On Friday, September 25, President Clinton attends political fund-raiser in Chicago, then travels to California.
- On Saturday, September 26, Cindy Crawford, Aretha Franklin, David Crosby, Graham Nash, and Michael Bolton to join National Cancer March in Washington, D.C.
- On Sunday, September 27, national elections are held in Germany.
- On Monday, September 28, hearing is scheduled for Khalid Salim, charged in the Aug. 7 attack on the U.S. Embassy in Nairobi
Watching your waistline? Click
- Actor Jason Alexander ("Seinfeld") is 39.
- Singer Ray Charles is 68.
- Singer Julio Iglesias is 55.
- Football player Tony Joseph Mandarich is 32.
- Golfer Larry Mize is 40.
- Actress Elizabeth Pena is ("Down and Out in Beverly Hills") is 37.
- Actor Paul Peterson ("The Donna Reed Show") is 53.
- Actress Mary Kay Place ("Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman") is 51.
- Actor Mickey Rooney ("The Black Stallion") is 78.
- Singer Bruce Springsteen is 49.
- In 1779, U.S. Adm. John Paul Jones defeats British warship Countess of Scarborough.
- In 1817, Spain signs treaty with Britain to end slave trade.
- In 1914, Dusseldorf is target of first British Air Command in Germany in World War I.
- In 1951, United Nations forces capture "Heartbreak Ridge" in Korea from Communists.
- In 1957, Romania's request to join Balkan Pact is refused by Greece.
- In 1972, Martial law is declared in Philippines by President Ferdinand Marcos.
- In 1978, Egypt's President Anwar Sadat returns home to hero's welcome after Camp David summit resulting in agreement on framework for peace with Israel.
- In 1992, Frances's deadliest storm in 34 years kills at least 32 people.
- In 1993, Sydney, Australia, picked over Beijing as site for 2000 Summer Olympics.
- In 1997, Rock group U2 performs for 45,000 Muslims, Croats, Serbs and NATO peace force troops
Back to the top
© 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.