| CNN WEB SITES:
Today's Events | On Horizon | On This Day | Newslink | Notable | Almanac archive
Wednesday, September 16, 1998
I question what purpose is served by additional exposure to the salacious details contained in the Starr report. We must find a way to proceed and avoid further bombardment of the airwaves and Internet with such material.
Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle
- Hearing in Philadelphia for Marie Noe, charged with killing eight of her ten children.
- Body of former Alabama Gov. George Wallace will lie in state in the first-floor rotunda of the Capitol in Montgomery. Funeral service to be held at the First United Methodist Church.
- Beginning of Annual Congressional Black Caucus legislative weekend, ends Sept. 19.
- National Association of Letter Carriers honors National Hero of the Year Ivan Wood Jr. of East Syracuse, N.Y.
- Ten finalists, ranging in age from 3 to 63, compete in first-ever national "Giggle Off" in Los Angeles, California.
- On Thursday, September 17, President Clinton tentatively scheduled to travel to Cincinnati and Boston.
- On Friday, September 18, the Christian Coalition holds its 8th annual convention in Washington.
- On Saturday, September 19, the 78th annual Miss America Pageant is to be held in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- On Sunday, September 20, the Jewish holiday Rosh Hashana begins at sundown.
- On Monday, September 21, Leaders from across the globe gather to address U.N. General Assembly general debate in New York.
Want to know what other people think? Click
- Actress Lauren Bacall ("Key Largo") is 74.
- Basketball Hall Of Famer Elgin Baylor is 64.
- Actor Ed Begley, Jr. ("St. Elsewhere") is 49.
- Musician Charlie Byrd is 73.
- Illusionist David Copperfield is 42.
- Actor Peter Falk ("Columbo") is 71.
- Actress Anne Francis ("Blackboard Jungle") is 66.
- TV producer Alan Funt ("Candid Camera") is 84.
- Baseball player Orel Hershiser is 40.
- Singer B.B. King ("The Thrill Is Gone") is 73.
- Writer John Knowles ("A Separate Peace") is 72.
- Singer Richard Marx is 35.
- Weatherman Mark McEwen is 44.
- Actress Janis Paige ("The Pajama Game") is 75.
- Baseball player Timothy Raines is 39.
- Actor Mickey Rourke ("9 1/2 Weeks") is 42.
- Former baseball player Robin Yount is 43.
- In 1673, Holy Roman Emperor Leopold I declares war against France.
- In 1744, Prussia's King Frederick II takes Prague but, deserted by the French, he is driven back into Saxony.
- In 1929, Peace is signed between Bolivia and Paraguay.
- In 1941, Iran's Reza Shah abdicates in favor of his 23-year-old son, Mohammad Reza.
- In 1945, Japan surrenders Hong Kong at the end of World War II.
- In 1955, Argentine President Juan Peron is ousted by military coup during second term in office, begins 18-year exile.
- In 1975, Papua New Guinea in the South Pacific becomes an independent nation.
- In 1976, U.S. Episcopal Church approves ordination of women.
- In 1979, Afghanistan's President Nur Mohammed Taraki is overthrown in coup headed by hard-line Communist Prime Minister Hafizullah Amin.
- In 1982, Massacre of Palestinian refugees by Lebanese Christians at refugee camps in Beirut begins.
- In 1997, Typhoon Oliwa hits southwestern Japan, killing six and forcing 80,000 people from their homes.
Back to the top
© 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.