| CNN WEB SITES:
Today's Events | On Horizon | On This Day | Newslink | Notable | Almanac archive
Thursday, August 27, 1998
Take a good home inventory. It can be a list. It can be a videotape. It's very important when it comes time to prove your damage to have that.
Insurance counselor Peter Van Aartrijk on how to handle aftermath of Hurricane Bonnie
- The Smithsonian is scheduled to unveil Minerva, an intelligent mobile robot that will give tours at the National Museum of American History in Washington.
- Actor James Brolin, recently wed to Barbra Streisand, is scheduled to get his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- On Friday, August 28, a hearing is scheduled in Chicago for two boys, ages 7 and 8, accused in the murder of an 11-year-old girl.
- On Saturday, August 29, the 30-day cooling-off period imposed by U.S. National Mediation Board on pilots for Northwest Airlines expires at 12:01 a.m. EDT.
- On Sunday, August 30, U.S. President Bill Clinton is scheduled to return from his vacation in Martha's Vineyard.
- On Monday, August 31, the world remembers the anniversary of Princess Diana's death one year ago in a Paris car crash.
- On Tuesday, September 1, U.S. President Bill Clinton is scheduled to visit Russia for a summit with Russian President Boris Yeltsin.
It may be a little late by now, but do you know best how to prepare for a hurricane? Make sure by clicking here.
- Today is Independence Day in Moldova.
- Cajun-country singer Jimmy C. Newman is 71.
- Actor Tommy Sands ("Babes in Toyland") is 61.
- Bluegrass singer-musician J.D. Crowe is 61.
- Musician Daryl Dragon (The Captain and Tennille) is 56.
- Ex-porn star Harry Reems is 51.
- Country musician Jeff Cook (Alabama) is 49.
- Actor Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) is 46.
- Actress Diana Scarwid ("Silkwood") is 43.
- Writer-producer Dean Devlin ("Independence Day") is 36.
- Rap musician Bobo (Cypress Hill) is 30.
- Rock musician Tony Kanal (No Doubt) is 28.
- Actress Sarah Chalke ("Roseanne") is 22.
- In 1883, the island volcano Krakatoa blew up; the resulting tidal waves in Indonesia's Sunda Strait claimed some 36,000 lives in Java and Sumatra.
- In 1892, fire seriously damaged New York's original Metropolitan Opera House, located at Broadway and 39th Street.
- In 1928, the Kellogg-Briand Pact was signed in Paris, outlawing war and providing for the peaceful settlement of disputes.
- In 1945, American troops began landing in Japan after the surrender of the Japanese government in World War II.
- In 1962, the United States launched the "Mariner Two" space probe, which flew past Venus the following December.
- In 1967, Brian Epstein, manager of the Beatles, was found dead in his London flat from an overdose of sleeping pills.
- In 1979, British war hero Lord Louis Mountbatten was killed off the coast of Ireland in a boat explosion claimed by the Irish Republican Army.
- In 1998, tens of thousands of civil rights marchers gathered in Washington D.C. on the eve of the 25th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech.
- In 1992, the UN Security Council suspended two-and-a-half-month-old economic sanctions against Haiti to spur the country's return to democracy.
- In 1997, former Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy was charged with seeking and accepting more than $35,000 in trips, sports tickets and favors from companies that did business with his agency.
- In 1997, Israel lifted a month-long blockade of Bethlehem that was imposed after a suicide bombing July 30th that killed 16 people.
Back to the top
© 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.