Chronology of Yeltsin's health problems
October 9, 1999
Web posted at: 8:30 a.m. EDT (1230 GMT)
- October 9, 1999 -- He is hospitalized for what his spokesman
says is the flu and a fever.
- February 27, 1999 -- Yeltsin returns to the hospital because
further treatment for the ulcer is necessary
- January 17, 1999 -- He is hospitalized for almost two weeks
with a bleeding ulcer.
- November 22, 1998 -- Yeltsin is rushed to the hospital with
pneumonia and fever. A week later, a spokesman acknowledges that he suffered "several" heart attacks during the 1996 election campaign.
- October 26, 1998 -- He cancels a trip to Austria because of
what is described as unstable blood pressure and extreme
fatigue. The next day he checks into the Barvikha sanitarium
- October 12, 1998 -- Yeltsin cuts short trip to Kazakstan because of bronchitis.
- March 13, 1998 -- He suffers from what is described as acute
laryngitis, an inflammation of the larynx and trachea. Doctors advise him to stay in bed.
- January 8, 1997 -- Hospitalized for a 12-day treatment of
what doctors describe as "double pneumonia," he then spends a
month recuperating at his country residence.
- November 5, 1996 -- Yeltsin undergoes quintuple heart bypass
surgery at the Moscow Cardiological Center.
- June 1996 -- Yeltsin disappears from public view for the
final week before the presidential election. Aides cite a
sore throat, his wife blames a cold, but his doctor later
acknowledges it was a heart attack
- October 26, 1995 -- Hospitalized for nearly a month with
heart problems, he then spends another month recuperating at
a government rest home.
- July 11, 1995 -- Hospitalized for two weeks with acute heart
trouble, he then recuperates for two weeks at a government
- September 1991 -- Heart trouble forces Yeltsin to stop work
for two days and later to recuperate for two weeks by the
Copyright 1999 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Ulcer sends Yeltsin back to hospital
February 27, 1999
Ailing Yeltsin works on state-of-union speech
January 24, 1999
Report: Yeltsin feels better, ulcer stable
January 19, 1999
Yeltsin hospitalized with bleeding ulcer
January 17, 1999
Yeltsin's hospitalization may spark new push for him to step aside
January 17, 1999
Yeltsin suffered 'several' heart attacks in 1996
November 27, 1998
Russian Government Internet Network
ITAR-TASS Home Page
Interfax News Agency
CaspianNet: Dagestan Republic
Chechen Islamic rebels (Russian)
Chechen Republic Online
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.