ad info




CNN.com
 MAIN PAGE
 WORLD
   africa
   americas
   asianow
   europe
   middle east
 U.S.
 LOCAL
 POLITICS
 WEATHER
 BUSINESS
 SPORTS
 TECHNOLOGY
 NATURE
 ENTERTAINMENT
 BOOKS
 TRAVEL
 FOOD
 HEALTH
 STYLE
 IN-DEPTH

 custom news
 Headline News brief
 daily almanac
 CNN networks
 CNN programs
 on-air transcripts
 news quiz

  CNN WEB SITES:
CNN Websites
 TIME INC. SITES:
 MORE SERVICES:
 video on demand
 video archive
 audio on demand
 news email services
 free email accounts
 desktop headlines
 pointcast

 DISCUSSION:
 message boards
 chat
 feedback

 SITE GUIDES:
 help
 contents
 search

 FASTER ACCESS:
 europe
 japan

 WEB SERVICES:

 

World - Europe

NATO promises no letup in bombing campaign

Damage in Vrsac
Serbian media reported attacks in Vrsac

related videoRELATED VIDEO
CNN's Brent Sadler looks at the mounting damage from the 50 days of bombings
Windows Media 28K 80K

CNN's Mike Chinoy analyzes what the NATO bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade means for China-U.S. relations (May 12)
Real 28K 80K
Windows Media 28K 80K

CNN's Amanda Kibel reports on the investigation in Yugoslavia by the War Crimes Tribunal. (May 11)
Real 28K 80K
Windows Media 28K 80K

       Windows Media Real

       28 K 80 K
InteractiveIMAGE GALLERY
To the corners of the world: The flight of Kosovo's refugees
 ALSO:
KLA recruits race against time for training

Remains of embassy bombing victims returned to Beijing

 THE DELUGE OF REFUGEES:
Where are they going?
 MESSAGE BOARD:
China tomorrow

Crisis in Kosovo
 MAPS:
NATO officials describe the air campaign
 IN-DEPTH SPECIAL:
NATO at 50

Strike on Yugoslavia
 

May 12, 1999
Web posted at: 4:14 p.m. EDT (2014 GMT)


In this story:

Milosevic acknowledges Serb military casualties

Russia threatens to pull out of diplomacy

RELATED STORIES, SITES icon



BELGRADE, Yugoslavia (CNN) -- NATO said Wednesday that the 49th day of its bombing campaign against Yugoslavia was the busiest yet, and promised more of the same. Serb media reported dozens of the attacks hit mainly civilian targets.

"We are starting to hit Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic very hard indeed in Kosovo, and it's going to get harder and harder in the days ahead," said NATO spokesman Jamie Shea.

NATO flew more than 600 sorties -- 327 of them strike sorties -- into Yugoslavia overnight. The attacks hit military equipment, supply lines, oil facilities, airfields, an ordnance factory and an army barracks.

"It is becoming increasingly difficult for the Yugoslav army to maintain its operations," said British Rear Adm. Simon Moore, assistant chief of defense staff.

Speaking at the British Ministry of Defense briefing Wednesday, Moore said NATO had still seen no signs of a Yugoslav troop withdrawal, which was announced Monday.

"The repression is continuing and so, therefore, is the air campaign," he said.

Milosevic acknowledges Serb military casualties

Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic countered NATO's reports of success.

In a message congratulating his armed forces, Milosevic acknowledged for the first time in the air campaign that began March 24 that Serb military forces had been killed. He gave no figures.

"During this struggle, many members of police and security forces died courageously," Milosevic said in a message on the eve of Security Day, which honors the army.

"Their sacrifice is a shining example of bravery and devotion to one's people and fatherland," Milosevic said in the address carried by the state Tanjug news agency. "You have suppressed the enemy and disabled it."

Yugoslav media reported several strikes around the country overnight, along with new civilian casualties.

Yugoslav media reported explosions around Subotica, near the Hungarian border, and Sombor, where an oil depot belonging to the national oil company Jugopetrol was hit.

In southern Serbia, two people were killed and five others wounded while they crossed a bridge at Vladicin Han, Yugoslav National TV said.

Yugoslav National TV said NATO warplanes fired 15 missiles at the central Serb town of Paracin, about 100 kilometers (60 miles) southeast of Belgrade. The missiles reportedly hit a youth hostel and a Bosnian refugee settlement. Three people were injured.

A collective farm in Svetlje that housed refugees -- presumably Serbs -- from northern Kosovo was also reportedly struck.

Hungarian State Railways reported that the 32-kilometer (20- mile) rail route between Subotica, Yugoslavia and Szeged, Hungary, was severed in the attacks when an overpass collapsed onto the track. It was Hungary's last open rail link with Yugoslavia.

Russia threatens to pull out of diplomacy

Damage in Nis
Damage in Nis, reportedly from the NATO attacks  

On the diplomatic front, Russian President Boris Yeltsin warned that Russia could pull out of "negotiating interaction" on Yugoslavia if his proposals and intermediary actions are not taken into account.

The Kremlin Press clarified the president's statement, saying Yeltsin was referring only to the "shuttle diplomacy" mission of the special envoy on Yugoslavia, Viktor Chernomyrdin.

"We are not taking part in this war, we didn't start this war," Yeltsin said at a Presidential Security Council meeting. "Our calls, continual proposal (on a peaceful solution to Kosovo) obviously are not getting through." Yeltsin said.

He sacked Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov Wednesday, a move that some analysts fear could take Russia's attentions away from Kosovo.

Chernomyrdin, after a trip to Beijing to discuss NATO's bombing of the Chinese Embassy in Belgrade, was back in Moscow Wednesday, where he planned to present a new proposal to U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Strobe Talbott. Talbott is meeting with officials on the conflict.

French President Jacques Chirac was due to arrive in Moscow, where he was expected to meet with Yeltsin on the Kosovo crisis.

The visit comes on the heels of a diplomatic mission to the Russian capital by French Foreign Minister Hubert Vedrine, who met for a round of talks Tuesday with his Russian counterpart, Igor Ivanov.

Ivanov emerged from the talks, saying he outlined Russia's position that NATO should pause the bombings while peace efforts are being explored.

Moscow Bureau Chief Jill Dougherty contributed to this report.



RELATED STORIES:
Remains of embassy bombing victims returned to Beijing
May 12, 1999
China suspends talks, demands U.S. apology
May 10, 1999

RELATED SITES:
Extensive list of Kosovo-related sites:
  • Kosovo

Yugoslavia:
  • Federal Republic of Yugoslavia official site
      • Kesovo and Metohija facts
  • Serbia Ministry of Information
  • Serbia Now! News

Kosovo:
  • Kosova Crisis Center
  • Kosovo - from Albanian.com

Military:
  • F-117s arrive at Aviano to support possible NATO operations
  • NATO official site
  • BosniaLINK - U.S. Dept. of Defense
  • U.S. Navy images from Operation Allied Force
  • U.K. Ministry of Defence - Kosovo news
  • U.K. Royal Air Force - Kosovo news
  • Jane's Defence - Kosovo Crisis


Relief:
  • Doctors Without Borders
  • U.S. Agency for International Development (Kosovo aid)
  • Doctors of the World
  • The IOM Migration Web
  • InterAction
  • International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
  • International Committee of the Red Cross
  • Kosovo Humanitarian Disaster Forces Hundreds of Thousands from their Homes
  • Catholic Relief Services
  • Kosovo Relief
  • ReliefWeb: Home page
  • The Jewish Agency for Israel
  • Mercy International


Media:
  • Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
  • Independent Yugoslav radio stations B92
  • Institute for War and Peace Reporting
  • United States Information Agency - Kosovo Crisis


Other:
  • Expanded list of related sites on Kosovo
  • 1997 view of Kosovo from space - Eurimage
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

 LATEST HEADLINES:
SEARCH CNN.com
Enter keyword(s)   go    help

Back to the top   © 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.