Russia: Milosevic agrees to 'international presence' in Kosovo
April 22, 1999
BELGRADE, Yugoslavia (CNN) -- A Russian special envoy says Yugoslav President has agreed to allow an "international presence" in Kosovo under a U.N. mandate, if NATO stops its bombing campaign and withdraws its troops from Yugoslavia's borders.
However, official Yugoslav sources told CNN the plan calls for an "unarmed presence" that would exclude NATO countries with the possible exception of Greece.
NATO previously has insisted that any peacekeeping force in Kosovo be armed and under NATO command. Milosevic has so far rejected NATO's demands to pull his forces out of Kosovo and grant autonomy to ethnic Albanians in the province.
Following a meeting with Milosevic in Belgrade, former Russian Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin said Yugoslavia had accepted the idea of an international body, but "what kind of international forces they will be or from which countries -- this is yet to be discussed."
Chernomyrdin said under the agreement, Russia would participate in the Kosovo force.
U.S. President Bill Clinton reacted cautiously upon hearing the report, saying he didn't know much about the proposal, but "if there is an offer for a genuine security force, that's the first time that Mr. Milosevic has done that, and that represents, I suppose, some step forward."
A statement from Milosevic's office made no mention of an international force and gave no indication the Yugoslav president had softened his hardline stance.
It said Milosevic and Chernomyrdin "condemned the aggression of (the) NATO pact ... and stressed that it must be stopped without further delay."
"Yugoslavia and Russia are firmly determined to jointly work for a peaceful resolution of the problems in Kosovo, and that can be achieved only through political means," the statement said.
Earlier Thursday, U.S. and British officials defended the bombing of one of Milosevic's homes in Belgrade, saying it contained a bunker and communications facilities that made it a legitimate military target.
Pentagon spokesman Ken Bacon said the early-morning attack was "indicative of increased allied pressure on the very center, the central nerve system of the regime that controls military and security forces."
Bacon said the alliance was not targeting Milosevic or his family, but, "We believe there were bunkers in this facility and in many other facilities."
The residence, one of two homes Milosevic keeps in the Yugoslav capital, is located in Belgrade's luxurious Dedinje district. The attack came at 4 a.m. (0200 GMT), the Yugoslav news agency Tanjug reported.
Serbian TV showed footage of what it said was the home. It showed significant damage to the residence in a tree-lined neighborhood near the grave of former Yugoslav Communist leader Marshal Tito.
Bacon's assertion came after similar statements by British military officials in London.
"The house has been used as a command-and-control facility, and therefore it became a part of the military machine," Armed Forces Minister Doug Henderson said.
Asked if NATO considered the Yugoslav leader a target, Henderson said, "The Milosevic military machine is the target, and there is no other target."
But Nebojsa Vujovic, a Yugoslav foreign ministry spokesman, said bombing the Yugoslav leader's home served no military purpose.
"There were no single elements of so-called or alleged command-and-control centers, no single piece of wire, no single button," Vujovic said.
NATO: Yugoslav supplies halved
NATO air raids have knocked out all of Yugoslavia's oil refining capacity, while damaged road and rail links have cut supplies to the Yugoslav army in Kosovo by half, senior officers said Thursday.
U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Thomas Wilson, director of intelligence for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the attacks are hurting Yugoslav forces in other ways as well: There are higher desertion rates and fewer reservists showing up for duty.
Wilson said there have been "several hundred" desertions from the Yugoslav forces based in Pristina, Kosovo's capital, alone.
A reported Yugoslav campaign against ethnic Albanians in Kosovo has left dozens of towns and villages razed, he said. Numerous towns -- particularly in central and southwest Kosovo -- have seen more than three-quarters of their buildings destroyed or damaged, he said.
"This is a wanton and indiscriminate destruction of this country's cities and villages," Wilson said. "There is a lot of evidence of mass killing."
Going into the air campaign March 24, NATO allies estimated the Yugoslav army in Kosovo numbered about 40,000 troops, backed up by roughly 400 tanks and armored vehicles.
Wilson said between two-thirds to three-quarters of those have been in the field, and about 10 to 20 percent of those have been hit by allied bombs.
In an interview aired Wednesday night on Houston, Texas, television station KHOU, Milosevic said a diplomatic solution was possible once NATO ceased its attacks, which began March 24.
"I believe that when the aggression stops, when the bombing stops, then it will be very easy to continue the political process," Milosevic said.
He denied that his troops have carried out a campaign of "ethnic cleansing" in Kosovo, a province of Serbia, Yugoslavia's dominant republic.
"There was never policy of this country and my policy to expel any citizen of Yugoslavia from any part of this country," he said.
Henderson, the British Armed Forces minister, on Thursday challenged Milosevic to explain why 600,000-plus Kosovo refugees have flooded other countries. And he said NATO would only stop its campaign when Milosevic agreed to a peace agreement that allowed them to return home safely, protected by an international force.
Additional strikes around Yugoslavia
In addition to the attack on Milosevic's home, Yugoslav authorities on Thursday were assessing the damage from a night of attacks that reportedly targeted a military airport and a key factory region.
Early Thursday, a series of large explosions jolted an area just outside Belgrade. Serbian TV reported that the key military airport at Batajnica, just outside the capital, was hit. Explosions also were heard in central Belgrade.
In Valjevo, about 45 miles (70 km) southwest of Belgrade, the independent radio station Studio B said 12 missiles struck the Krusik factory. The plant has been a repeated target of NATO's strikes.
The report said the air raids were the strongest attack on Valjevo so far and that a number of homes and other buildings near the factory were damaged.
NATO leaders to review plans at summit
As NATO leaders gather for the alliance's 50th anniversary summit, which begins in Washington on Friday, NATO Secretary- General Javier Solana authorized allied planners to "update the assessment" for the possible use of ground troops in Yugoslavia.
Gen. Wesley Clark, NATO's supreme commander, will review the allies' contingency plans.
Despite that, Henderson said the allies remain committed to the air campaign.
"The difficulty of a land force invasion of Kosovo against an undegraded Serb military machine are formidable, but all options are always kept under review," he said.
Early estimates suggest that more than 200,000 NATO troops would be required for a ground war in Yugoslavia. Military officials told CNN that number likely would be higher after Clark's reassessment."
Sources in Washington say his review is routine, and in no way suggests a move toward seeking approval from the 19-member military alliance for a ground combat operation.
The White House said Thursday it remained opposed to putting U.S. or NATO ground troops in Kosovo, except as a peacekeeping force.
CNN INDEPTH SPECIAL SECTION:
Milosevic opens door to new peace talks on Kosovo
Extensive list of Kosovo-related sites
|Back to the top||
© 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.|
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.