ad info

CNN.com
 MAIN PAGE
 WORLD
   africa
   americas
   asianow
   europe
   middle east
 U.S.
 LOCAL
 POLITICS
 WEATHER
 BUSINESS
 SPORTS
 TECHNOLOGY
 NATURE
 ENTERTAINMENT
 BOOKS
 TRAVEL
 FOOD
 HEALTH
 STYLE
 IN-DEPTH

 custom news
 Headline News brief
 daily almanac
 CNN networks
 CNN programs
 on-air transcripts
 news quiz

  CNN WEB SITES:
CNN Websites
 TIME INC. SITES:
 MORE SERVICES:
 video on demand
 video archive
 audio on demand
 news email services
 free email accounts
 desktop headlines
 pointcast

 DISCUSSION:
 message boards
 chat
 feedback

 SITE GUIDES:
 help
 contents
 search

 FASTER ACCESS:
 europe
 japan

 WEB SERVICES:

 

World - Europe

Serb attacks reported on Kosovo villages

Serb troops fire 122 mm howitzers at ethnic Albanian rebel positions in the Drenica region of Kosovo on Wednesday

 ALSO:
NATO launches third wave of attacks in Yugoslavia

Clinton makes direct peace appeal to Serbs

 

March 26, 1999
Web posted at: 10:58 a.m. EST (1558 GMT)


In this story:

Kosovo's civilian leaders targeted

In-depth: Strike on Yugoslavia

RELATED STORIES, SITES icon



(CNN) -- As NATO began a third day of air attacks on Yugoslavia, there were reports of Yugoslav troops and Serb paramilitary units sweeping through villages in Kosovo, killing people and causing widespread destruction.

Yugoslav authorities have expelled journalists and diplomatic observers from several NATO member countries, but reports of massacres and widespread destruction emerged from other sources.

NATO officials on Friday again urged Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic to end attacks by his troops and Serb paramilitary units in the rebellious province, where ethnic Albanians are the majority.

"The Serbian forces are shelling indiscriminately, especially in the northern part of Kosovo," Pleurat Sejdiu, a spokesman for the rebel Kosovo Liberation Army, said from London. "In the Drenica region, we have reports that some 20,000 civilians are encircled by Serbian forces." Those reports could not be independently confirmed.

The KLA is fighting for independence for Kosovo. Kosovar Albanian leaders have agreed to a Western-backed peace plan that would grant the province a limited autonomy within Serbia, the dominant republic in the Yugoslav federation. NATO countries say Yugoslavia must agree to that plan and end attacks on Kosovo for NATO air raids to stop.

At NATO's military headquarters in Mons, Belgium, the alliance's military commander said air power alone won't stop attacks by soldiers and Serb paramilitary units on villages.

But U.S. Gen. Wesley Clark said NATO forces might begin to strike at Yugoslav troops on the move if the fighting continues. Milosevic can stop the bombing "with a phone call," Clark said.

Clark said the attacks by Yugoslav troops in Kosovo were not triggered by NATO raids, but were planned long ago by Serb authorities.

British Defense Minister George Robertson told reporters in London that two villages across the border in Albania had been shelled by Yugoslav forces. Other ethnic Albanian villages in Kosovo had been razed as well, he said.

Robertson said NATO strikes would continue the bombings until "Milosevic's murder machine" stopped attacking ethnic Albanians in Kosovo.

Kosovo's civilian leaders targeted

U.S. intelligence officials say Serb forces are driving ethnic Albanians out of villages and rounding up prominent civilians while international observers are gone. In the provincial capital of Pristina, Veton Surroi -- one of the four Kosovar Albanian signers of the peace accords -- has gone into hiding.

Human rights groups said several ethnic Albanian community leaders have been kidnapped in Kosovo, and some have been killed.

"The war in Kosovo has now entered a new phase," said James Hooper, of the Balkan Action Council in the United States. "Serbian forces have begun to abduct and execute the professionals, the political leaders and others in a number of places throughout Kosovo."

The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees said Friday that Yugoslav troops reportedly killed 20 civilians in a town in southwestern Kosovo.

The UNHCR, citing witnesses' accounts, said Serbian forces torched village homes, separated men from their families and executed 20 of them. The accounts came from 174 women and children who crossed into northern Albania, UNHCR spokesman Kris Janowski said in Geneva.

"They alleged 20 of them (the men) were executed and they actually saw the bodies," Janowski said.

The commission estimates about 450,000 people have fled Kosovo in more than a year of fighting -- roughly 25 percent of the province's pre-conflict population, NATO spokesman Jamie Shea said Friday.

A U.S. official condemned the reported massacre, but said the United States had no official confirmation of it.

"We have seen continued fighting and reports of atrocities," U.S. National Security Council spokesman David Leavy said. "It only underscores the brutality of the Milosevic regime and his blatant disregard for human life, and the necessity for NATO's strong response to his repression."

Correspondents Christiane Amanpour and David Ensor and Reuters contributed to this report.

RELATED STORIES:
NATO halts second night of airstrikes
March 26, 1999
U.S.: Milosevic won't budge
March 25, 1999
U.S.-Russia relations wounded by NATO airstrikes
March 25, 1999
Pentagon: Day 2 of NATO strikes will be severe
March 25, 1999

RELATED SITES:
Independent Yugoslav radio station B92
Federal Republic of Yugoslavia - Facts
Kosova Crisis Center
NATO Official Homepage
Kosovo and Metohia
U.S. Navy
  • Photo of missile firing Wednesday
Kosova Liberation Peace Movement
The Institute for War & Peace Reporting (IWPR)
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

 LATEST HEADLINES:
SEARCH CNN.com
Enter keyword(s)   go    help

Back to the top   © 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.