No prosecutions over Diana's death - paperJanuary 10, 1999
Web posted at: 1:42 a.m. EST (0642 GMT)
LONDON (CNN) - An investigation into the death of Britain's Princess Diana has concluded that the driver of the car in which she was riding was at least partly responsible for the fatal crash, according to a report in the Sunday Mirror.
The investigation, led by French judge Herve Stephan, began in September 1997, shortly after Diana's death, and was completed last week, the newspaper said.
"From the overall examination of the known factors the accident may be due to excess speed, the peculiar characteristics of the road, the presence of a Fiat Uno at the mouth of the tunnel and the poor control of the vehicle by the driver," the Mirror quoted the report as saying.
According to the report, no one left alive is to blame for the Paris crash, which killed Diana's companion Dodi Al Fayed, as well as the driver, Henri Paul.
The French investigators have consistently blamed the crash on the high speed at which Paul drove the car and the criminal level of alcohol in his blood at the time of the accident.
The Sunday Mirror said manslaughter charges against photographers and a dispatch rider who pursued the car after it left the Ritz Hotel, owned by Dodi's father Mohamed Al Fayed, would be dropped.
Photographers who were first to reach the crash scene would face only minor charges, the newspaper said, and the managers of the Ritz Hotel would not be tried for corporate manslaughter.
In addition, owners of the limousine company which provided the car would not face charges for not providing a driver for the car when it was requested, the Sunday Mirror said.
Only Diana's bodyguard, Trevor Rees-Jones, survived the crash, but he suffered severe injuries.
Reuters contributed to this report.
Back to the top
© 2000 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.