in this election:
- Seats in the Majlisi Namoyandogon:
of government structure:
- Chief of State: President
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Oquilov Oqil
- Tajikistan Currently has a unicameral Supreme Assembly or Majlisi Oli with 181 seats.
Tajikistan's parliament will be split into two seperate chambers, a lower house (Majlisi
Namoyandogon) and an upper house (Majlisi Milliy) after elections on
February 27 and March 23, 2000, respectively.
of electoral system:
- All 181 memebers of the Supreme Assembly were popularly elected to five-year terms.
- The president is elected by popular vote for a seven-year term.
- The president will directly appoint
eight of the 33 deputies in the new upper house (Majlisi Milliy) and Deputies of
local Majlises will elect the remainder.
- In the Majlisi Namoyandogon, 22
of the 63-members will come from party lists and the remaining 41 from single-mandate
parties in the electoral races to the Majlisi Namoyandogon:
- Party: The People's Democratic Party (PDPT)
Leader: Rahmonov Emomali SHARIPOVICH
- Party: The Communist Party (CPT)
Leader: Shodi SHABDOLOV
- Party: The Islamic Renaissance Party (IRP)
Leader: Said Abdullo NURI
- Party: The Socialist Party
Leader: Sherali KENJAEV
- Party: The Democratic Party (Almaty platform) (TDP)
Leader: Muhammadruzi ISKANDAROV
- Party: The Justice Party (JPPT)
Leader: Abdurahmon KARIMOV
|When was the last election? Number of seats in last election?
- This is the first election to the lower house (Majlisi Namoyandogon)
- Last election to the Supreme Assembly or Majlisi Oli: February 26 and March 12, 1995.
- Seats decided in the last election: 181
and number of registered voters:
- Population: 6,120,854 (July 1999 est.)
- Number of registered voters: 2,858,815
- An election law passed on December 10, 1999 divided Tajikistan's parliament into two seperate chambers. The lower house (Majlisi Namoyandogon) will consist of 63 deputies and the upper house (Majlisi Milliy) will have 33 senators. Tajikistan will have elections to these chambers on February 27 and March 23, respectively.
- Elections for Local Majlis of
people's deputies will take place simultaneously with the Majlisi Namoyandagon on February 27, 2000.
|SOURCE: INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR ELECTION SYSTEMS (IFES)
|For additional information:
IFES ElectionGuide Online