in this election:
- Seats in the House of Representatives: 17
of government structure:
- Parliament: Antigua and Barbuda's
bicameral parliament is composed of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
- Senate: The Senate consists of 17
members appointed by the governor general for five-year terms.
- House of Representatives: The House
of Representatives consists of 17 members directly elected by simple majority vote for
five-year terms. One House of Representatives seat is reserved for the island of
|Results of the
- Party: Antigua Labour Party (ALP)
Leader: Lester Bryant BIRD
Seats won in this election: 12
Seats won in last election: 11
- Party: United
Progressive Party (UPP)
Leader: Baldwin SPENCER
Seats won in this election: 4
Seats won in last election: 5
- Party: Barbuda People's Movement (BPM)
Leader: Thomas Hilbourne FRANK
Seats won in this election: 1
Seats won in last election: 1
|When was the last election? Number
of seats in last election?
- Parliamentary elections last held: March
- Seats decided in the 1994 election: 17
and number of registered voters:
- Population: 65,000
- Number of registered voters: 52,348
- The March 1999 election was Antigua and
Barbuda's fourth national vote since the country gained independence in 1981.
- The Antigua Labour Party (ALP) has earned
a majority in each of the past six elections to the House of Representatives.
|SOURCE: INTERNATIONAL FOUNDATION FOR ELECTION SYSTEMS (IFES)
|For additional information:
IFES ElectionGuide Online