|Republic of Niger
1999 and November 24, 1999
in this election:
- Office of the president of Niger
of government structure:
- Until it was dissolved, Niger had an 83 person National Assembly popularly elected to
five-year terms by the people.
of electoral system:
- The President is indirectly elected by the people of Niger to a five-year term.
- 75 of the 83 members of the National Assembly are selected through a popular party list
vote from 8 multi-seat departments, while the other 8 are selected by plurality from
single seat minority communities. All members are elected to five-year terms.
- Parliamentary elections and the second round of Presidential elections are planned for
November 24, 1999.
|Results of the election for president:
Candidate: Tandja MAMADOU
Party: The National Movement for the Development Society (MNSD)
Valid Votes Received: 617,320
Percent of Valid Votes Received: 32.33 %
Candidate: Mahamadou ISSOUFOU
Party: Party for Democracy and Socialism (PNDS)
Valid Votes Received: 435,041
Percent of Valid Votes Received: 22.79 %
Candidate: Mahamane OUSMANE
Party: Democratic and Social Convention (CDS)
Valid Votes Received: 429,827
Percent of Valid Votes Received: 22.51 %
Candidate: Hamid ALGABID
Party: Rally for Democracy and Progress (RDP)
Valid Votes Received: 206,763
Percent of Valid Votes Received: 10.83 %