CNN World News

International Briefs -- August 24, 1995

Zaire stops deporting Rwandan and Burundian refugees

GOMA, Zaire (CNN) -- Almost as quickly, as it began, the government of Zaire has ended its controversial policy of forced expulsion of Rwandan and Burundi refugees.

[Truck] U.N. observers have noted that for the first time in five days, no Zairian soldiers visited the camps Thursday to escort refugees across the border. It's estimated that as many as 15,000 refugees were trucked back to Rwanda and Burundi.

The Zairian military was attempting to round up over 100,000 Rwandan refugees for what it called "security precautions," even though many of the people they took into custody were women and children, While the Zairian government gave no reason for the turnaround in its policy, the U.S. State Department announced it was "pleased" with Zaire's decision.

Fearful of mistreatment by the Zairian troops, some 130,000 refugees quickly fled into the nearby hills without adequate food or water. As many as one-million people escaped Rwanda last year during that country's civil war.


Italy and Germany seek extradition of Nazi's

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (CNN) -- Italy says it will appeal an Argentine court ruling blocking the extradition of accused Nazi war criminal, Erich Priebke. Italy wants to try the former SS captain, in connection with the 1944 massacre of 335 Italian civilians near Rome.

The Argentine court overturned the extradition order, saying the statute of limitations had run out.

Priebke, who admitted his role in the massacre, had appealed his extradition, saying he was acting on orders. Germany also plans to file its own extradition request with Argentina.

Meanwhile, Denmark's high court approved Germany's request to extradite U.S. neo-Nazi leader, Gary Lauck. He is accused of smuggling banned hate literature into Germany. While spreading Nazi literature is not illegal in Denmark, the Danish court ruled Lauck's verbal and written attacks against Jews broke Danish laws against inciting racial hatred


U.N. cutting back military presence in Gorazde

[Armored vehicles] GORAZDE, Bosnia-Herzegovina (CNN)--The U.N. presence in the eastern Bosnian "safe area" of Gorazde is being scaled back.

Ukrainian peacekeepers spent Wednesday and Thursday pulling out of the city and a contingent of British peacekeepers expected to leave the enclave as soon as the Bosnian government gives them the authority to do so.

The U.N. says the pullout will leave Gorazde in greater danger of attack, despite threats of massive NATO airstrikes to protect the enclave.

Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic said again late Wednesday that his forces want Gorazde.



[Imagemap]
| INDEX | SEARCH | CNN HOME PAGE | MAIN WORLD NEWS PAGE |

Copyright © 1995 Cable News Network, Inc.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.