February 21, 1996
Web posted at: 12:15 a.m. EST (0515 GMT)
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (CNN) -- A decision on whether the Bosnian Serb military will resume ties with NATO may be forthcoming soon, possibly Wednesday, a senior Bosnian Serb military general said Tuesday.
At a meeting between the commander of NATO ground forces in Bosnia, Lt. Gen. Michael Walker, and Bosnian Serb Maj. Gen. Zdravko Tolimir, Walker reprimanded Tolimir for failing to show up for a key meeting on Monday of leaders of Bosnia's formerly warring factions.
According to a NATO statement, Walker told Tolimir that failing to maintain contact with the NATO-led Implementation Force was a serious breach of the Dayton peace accords.
Tolimir replied he would have to await word from the Serb leadership and assembly, which meets Wednesday, before giving word on whether contacts could be resumed.
The Bosnian Serb boycotted talks with NATO and Bosnian Croat and Bosnian government commanders in retaliation for the arrest and deportation earlier this month of two Bosnian Serb officers to the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague.
Copyright © 1996 Cable News Network, Inc.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive