Cuba's No. 2 man lashes out at U.S.
July 27, 1997
Web posted at: 4:29 p.m. EDT (2029 GMT)
HAVANA, Cuba (CNN) -- Cuban Defense Minister and Deputy
President Raul Castro accused the United States of leading a
continuing "dirty war" against Havana, and said Washington
was too soft on what he called "anti-Cuban terrorists"
operating from the United States.
Castro, the younger brother of Cuban leader Fidel Castro,
leveled the accusations Saturday during ceremonies in the
eastern city of Las Tunas, marking the anniversary of the
start of Castro's communist revolution in 1953.
While Fidel Castro looked on, his brother charged that
Washington hoped "to force us to surrender through hunger and
illness ... as part of a monstrous, fascist plan."
The younger Castro reiterated Cuba's charge that the people
and materiel used in two recent bombings in Havana came from
the United States.
He referred to two small explosions at the Nacional and Capri
hotels in which three people were slightly injured.
Havana had previously said the bombs were the work of
hard-line opponents of Cuba's communist government, launching
their anti-Cuban activities from Florida.
The United States has rejected involvement and demanded that
Havana back up its charges with evidence.
Castro said the bombings were not isolated incidents.
"We have frustrated several such actions in recent years, and
we have proof that these actions are forged in the United
States and that the people and the materiel come from that
country and that it is there that these terrorist elements
are organized and trained," he said.
He added that authorities had punished some people involved
in such plans, and that others were due to be tried. However,
he did not provide any details.
Speaking for a little more than an hour, Raul Castro steered
away from Cuba's ailing economy, but said that the continuing
35-year-old U.S. economic embargo, as well as its tightening
last year, were proof that Washington's "dirty war against
Castro also blasted last month's visit to Cuba by Michael
Ranneberger, coordinator of U.S. State Department Cuban
affairs, charging he met with dissidents and that he
"exhorted those individuals to undertake internal subversion."
Correspondent John Zarrella and Reuters contributed to this
Related sites:Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
© 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.