Mobutu to France after elections?
May 24, 1997
Web posted at: 1:17 p.m. EDT (1717 GMT)
RABAT, Morocco (CNN) -- A Moroccan official said Saturday
that Mobutu Sese Seko, ousted president of the former Zaire,
would leave for France at the beginning of June.
"President Mobutu, who was welcomed by Morocco for
humanitarian reasons, is expected to leave for France as his
final destination ... unless there are complications in his
health," said the official, who declined to be identified.
The 66-year-old exile suffers from the advanced stages of
French Prime Minister Alain Juppe said Friday that his
government would consider a request for asylum from Mobutu
but that none had been received.
Mobutu owns a mansion on the French Riviera near Monte Carlo.
King Hassan II granted the deposed dictator's request to stay
in Morocco for "several days," according to a statement
released when Mobutu and his family arrived on Friday.
Mobutu is not expected to arrive in France until after June
1, the date for round two of France's legislative elections.
In Morocco, Mobutu is staying at the Skhirat resort, site of
one of Morocco's royal palaces. The resort is under heavy
King Hassan II also gave temporary refuge to the Shah of Iran
after his overthrow by Islamic fundamentalists 18 years ago.
Reuters contributed to this report.
Special section:CNN Interactive's extended coverage
Related sites:Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
© 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.