China says Deng will is a fake
February 26, 1997
Web posted at: 11:53 a.m. EST (1653 GMT)
HONG KONG (CNN) -- China has denied a report in Hong Kong
newspapers that senior leader Deng Xiaoping left a will
apologizing for the 1989 crackdown against pro-democracy
protesters in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
Two Hong Kong newspapers reported there was such a will but
gave no sources. The reports said Deng expressed remorse
about the shooting of students during the military crackdown
and that he apologized to families of the dead and to the
people of China.
A copy of the purported will, which was dated September 12 of
last year, was also sent to international journalists in
A Chinese government spokesman in Hong Kong said Wednesday
that "the so-called Deng Xiaoping will, reported on by some
media in Hong Kong and overseas, is a fabrication by some
elements of the 'democracy movement' in the United States who
sent it to the media."
"These few 'democracy movement' elements clumsily made up
stories with some secret aim. Anybody with a conscience would
despise this," said the spokesman for China's mission in Hong
Kong, the state-run Xinhua news agency branch.
Deng, who died a week ago, was in power when tanks were sent
in to crush a student-led democracy movement in Tiananmen
Square on June 3-4, 1989. He later thanked the army, and
never publicly expressed any misgivings about the crackdown.
Reuters contributed to this report.
Related sites:Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
© 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.