Yeltsin 'satisfactory,' being treated for pneumonia
January 9, 1997
Web posted at: 9:00 a.m. EST (1400 GMT)
MOSCOW (CNN) -- Doctors treating Boris Yeltsin for pneumonia
reported Thursday the Russian president is in "satisfactory
condition," according to Dr. Renat Akchurin, the heart
surgeon who performed Yeltsin's quintuple bypass operation
two months ago.
Akchurin said he's been told Yeltsin's illness -- which led
to hospitalization on Wednesday -- is unrelated to the heart
The Kremlin, hoping to reduce public concern over this latest
setback, issued a short statement Thursday saying Yeltsin,
65, had a normal temperature and was being treated with
The Kremlin said Yeltsin had discussed affairs of state by
telephone with Prime Minister Viktor Chernomyrdin, who has
left on a scheduled vacation "near Moscow" but was keeping a
close eye on developments.
- Yeltsin hospitalized with pneumonia - January 9, 1997
- Healthier Yeltsin returns to work - December 23, 1996
- Yeltsin goes back to work on Monday - December 20, 1996
- Yeltsin pleased with rapid passage of Russian budget - December 15, 1996
- Yeltsin meets with chief of staff - November 29, 1996
- Yeltsin, Russian economy, both
trying to recover - November 22, 1996
- Yeltsin lively after surgery, doctors say - November 17, 1996
Related sites: Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
© 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this
service is provided to you.