Blast rocks Belfast court building
January 6, 1997
Web posted at: 10:35 a.m. EST (1515 GMT)
BELFAST, Northern Ireland (CNN) -- Belfast's Royal Courts of
Justice was the apparent target of a rocket that
exploded in front of the building Monday morning.
Belfast's Downtown Radio station received a coded phone call saying that the Irish Republican Army was responsible for the attack. The caller also said that bombs had been left at other locations in the city.
No serious injuries were reported in the explosion, which
struck a security post at an entrance to the
building. The court, which was badly damaged in a 1989 attack
by the IRA, is surrounded by a high
Shortly after the blast, an abandoned car was found burning
in a nearby Catholic neighborhood. IRA bombers often burn
their getaway cars to destroy evidence, police said.
Police defused an IRA bomb discovered at Belfast
Castle on New Year's Eve and British army bomb experts
handled a small bomb found on the border with the Irish
The IRA ended a 17-month
cease-fire last February when it set off a truck bomb in
Reuters contributed to this report.
Related sites: Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
© 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.