It was a Saturday afternoon, another day in the short but successful life of ValuJet, a three-year-old discount airline; an afternoon in which more than 100 people in Miami -- some on their way somewhere for Mother's Day visits -- boarded ValuJet Flight 592 bound for Atlanta.
But that afternoon, shortly after that flight began, it ended in tragedy. The DC-9 plunged to the earth and was pulverized upon impact into the Florida Everglades. Those aboard died in an instant, a catastrophe that will linger for the victims' friends and families, and investigators who try to determine what went wrong.
In this special section, CNN Interactive brings you a selection of our coverage of the tragedy.
- Hearing into ValuJet crash opens
- ValuJet 592 crash to be blamed on oxygen canisters
- Fiery tests show probable cause for ValuJet nosedive
- ValuJet flies again
- ValuJet sprucing up, scrubbing down for return to air
- NTSB shuts down the field office in ValuJet crash
- ValuJet crash prompts FAA shakeup, new rules
- ValuJet grounded
- Search is over for ValuJet wreckage and remains
- Pieces of crucial electrical panel found in Everglades, paper says
- Survivors unlikely in ValuJet crash
- Maintenance record of downed jet shows problems
- FAA to increase scrutiny of ValuJet
- Divers recover flight data recorder
- How safe are oxygen generators?
- A look at developments in the first four weeks following the crash
- Passenger list
- Memorial service for unidentified ValuJet crash victims
- Grandparents, missionaries and family of five among crash victims
- Family members hold service for crash victims
- More delays seen for ValuJet
- Cheap airline woes weigh on budget travelers
- ValuJet, if it flies again, will be smaller and poorer
- ValuJet shares plunge
- Safety issues may hurt no-frills airlines
- ValuJet co-founder sells 1.5 million shares
- Shareholders sue ValuJet, contending airline lied about its safety record
- Legal ordeal begins for families of ValuJet crash victims
- Federal Aviation Administration
- ValuJet home page
- Miami International Airport
- The McDonnell Douglas DC-9
- The US Department of Transportation
- National Transportation Safety Board
FeedbackSend us your comments.
Selected responses are posted daily.
Copyright © 1996 Cable News Network, Inc.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.