ad info




CNN.com
 MAIN PAGE
 WORLD
* U.S.
 LOCAL
 POLITICS
 WEATHER
 BUSINESS
 SPORTS
 TECHNOLOGY
 SPACE
 HEALTH
 ENTERTAINMENT
 BOOKS
 TRAVEL
 FOOD
 ARTS & STYLE
 NATURE
 IN-DEPTH
 ANALYSIS
 myCNN

 Headline News brief
 news quiz
 daily almanac

  MULTIMEDIA:
 video
 video archive
 audio
 multimedia showcase
 more services

  E-MAIL:
Subscribe to one of our news e-mail lists.
Enter your address:
Or:
Get a free e-mail account

 DISCUSSION:
 message boards
 chat
 feedback

  CNN WEB SITES:
CNN Websites
 AsiaNow
 En Español
 Em Português
 Svenska
 Norge
 Danmark
 Italian

 FASTER ACCESS:
 europe
 japan

 TIME INC. SITES:
 CNN NETWORKS:
Networks image
 more networks
 transcripts

 SITE INFO:
 help
 contents
 search
 ad info
 jobs

 WEB SERVICES:

US

U.S. repeats vow to investigate massacre at No Gun Ri

bridge
A retired officer said civilians were herded into a tunnel under a bridge and that when shots rang out from the spot, U.S. soldiers started firing  

November 13, 1999
Web posted at: 12:44 a.m. EST (0544 GMT)


In this story:

Apology is sought

Veterans, villagers meet in Cleveland

RELATED STORIES, SITES icon



From staff and wire reports

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Pentagon officials are vowing to "vigorously" investigate a massacre of hundreds of civilians at No Gun Ri during the Korean War -- and publish their findings about any role U.S. troops played.

The officials, including Principal Deputy Undersecretary of Defense Charles Cragin, met Friday with four South Koreans who say that they are survivors of the massacre.

"We repeated the pledge of the United States to continue to work closely with the Republic of Korea government, and assured the survivors that the Department of Defense will vigorously pursue the facts of what happened at No Gun Ri," Cragin said.

 VIDEO
National Correspondent Bruce Morton reports on four Koreans who say they survived the alleged massacre at No Gun Ri
QuickTime Play
Real 28K 80K
Windows Media 28K 80K
 
  MESSAGE BOARD
Join the discussion
South Korea

Korea massacre investigation
 

The South Koreans met for an hour with Cragin and other senior Pentagon and Army officials, the Defense Department said in a statement.

Lt.Gen. Michael Ackerman, the Army's inspector general and head of an Army probe into the alleged massacre, also attended the meeting.

The South Koreans discussed their experiences during the incident, which allegedly took place at No Gun Ri July 26-29, 1950, early in the 1950-53 Korean War.

"There were no North Korean tanks around" when the incident occurred and no excuse for firing at unarmed civilians, Chung Eun Yong said after the talks.

Apology is sought

The meeting was the survivors' latest effort in obtaining official recognition that the incident occurred, and an apology for the bloodshed. They previously attended a church service with U.S. veterans.

"We believe that God will forgive the veterans and the U.S. government when they repent their sins committed, as they fill their responsibilities on the massacre, and they ... apologize officially for their wrongdoings," Chung said during that service.

They did not receive an apology, just an acknowledgment that bad things happen during war. Their claims for compensation have also been rejected in the past by the U.S. and South Korean governments.

"No one enjoys war at all. There is no good thing about war. It happens. Unfortunately, the people that seem to suffer the most in a war zone are the civilians, the people who should be protected," Korean War veteran Robert Gray said.

"I sent letters four times to the U.S. government for an apology" but received none, Chung said.

He lost his son and daughter at No Gun Ri and his wife was seriously wounded, according to the National Council of Churches, which is sponsoring the Koreans' visit to the United States.

U.S. Defense Secretary William Cohen ordered a thorough Army review of the alleged massacre after The Associated Press quoted villagers and U.S. veterans as saying hundreds of civilians, including women and children, were killed by U.S. forces.

The U.S. Army had conducted a review of documents in the case earlier this year and said it did not discover any evidence of a massacre by U.S. soldiers during the conflict, which pitted communist against non-communist forces.

Veterans, villagers meet in Cleveland

During a meeting between the alleged survivors and a small number of veterans in Cleveland on Monday, retired First Lt. Edward Daily, 68, told reporters of being put on alert by his superiors and being warned that some civilians who were fleeing a North Korean military advance could be North Korean troops in disguise.

There was no time to screen civilians trying to escape, he said, adding he recalled the civilians being herded into a tunnel under a bridge. When shots rang out from the spot, he said, U.S. soldiers started firing.

"There was massive rifle fire that lasted about 20 minutes, then it went quiet. Then it started again and lasted about another 10 minutes. Some of our men went down ... and we did find a couple of North Korean soldiers in brown uniforms under their (civilian) clothes," he said.

National Correspondent Bruce Morton
and Reuters contributed to this report.



RELATED STORIES:
'Outside experts' to help probe Korea massacre allegations
November 2, 1999
Probe launched into alleged Korean War massacre
October 30, 1999
South Koreans demand answers from inquiry into alleged massacre
October 1, 1999
'All-encompassing' probe ordered into alleged Korean War massacre
September 30, 1999
No swift action from Seoul over No Gun Ri report
September 30, 1999

For more ASIANOW news, myCNN.com will bring you news from the areas and subjects you select.

RELATED SITES:
U.S. Department of Defense
  • Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen
  • The Pentagon
U.S. Army
Korean Central News Agency
Ministry of National Defense, Republic of Korea

See related sites about East Asia
East Asian media
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

 LATEST HEADLINES:
SEARCH CNN.com
Enter keyword(s)   go    help

Back to the top   © 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.