Colleague of Columbine shooters arrested
June 18, 1999
LITTLETON, Colorado (CNN) -- A 22-year-old man suspected as the "go-between" in supplying the two Columbine High School shooters with a TEC-9 handgun turned himself in Thursday to Jefferson County authorities.
Phillip Duran was arrested around 4 p.m. (6 p.m. ET) on suspicion of two separate counts: One for unlawfully providing or permitting a juvenile to possess a handgun and the other for the illegal possession of an assault weapon.
Bond was set at $15,000. His first court appearance is scheduled for 10 a.m. Friday (12 noon ET) and his arraignment is set for Tuesday at 10 a.m. (12 noon EDT).
The first count carries a maximum of six years in prison; the second, up to three years.
Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, went on the rampage April 20, tossing explosives and shooting with four different guns, including a TEC-9. The two killed a teacher and twelve students, before killing themselves.
The affidavit says Duran, who worked with Klebold and Eric Harris at Blackjack Pizza, told an investigator that the two suspects had approached him three or four months before the massacre about buying a gun.
Duran said he gave Harris and Klebold the telephone number of Mark Manes, who was arrested last month and charged with unlawfully providing or permitting a juvenile to possess a handgun.
Asked why it took longer to arrest Duran on the same count, a spokeswoman for the district attorney, Pam Russell, said it was because Duran was "out of town." She could not specify for how long or where he had gone.
"That's one of the things that held up his arrest and why it didn't happen sooner," Russell told CNN.
Duran allegedly introduced Harris and Klebold to Manes at a gun show on Jan. 23, when Manes is said to have shown Harris the TEC-9 at a sale price of $500, according to the affidavit. Manes told investigators Klebold called him that night, then came to his house and bought the gun.
Manes took a $300 deposit up front with the rest of the money to be paid later, the affidavit said. It also said he received the rest of the money from Duran, who had gotten the money from Harris and Klebold.
Crews work to erase signs of massacre at Columbine
Columbine High School Information Center
|Back to the top||
© 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.|
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.