ad info

CNN.com
 MAIN PAGE
 WORLD
 ASIANOW
 U.S.
 LOCAL
 POLITICS
 WEATHER
 BUSINESS
 SPORTS
 TECHNOLOGY
 NATURE
 ENTERTAINMENT
 BOOKS
 TRAVEL
 FOOD
 HEALTH
 STYLE
 IN-DEPTH

 Headline News brief
 daily almanac
 CNN networks
 CNN programs
 on-air transcripts
 news quiz

  CNN WEB SITES:
CNN Websites
 TIME INC. SITES:
 MORE SERVICES:
 video on demand
 video archive
 audio on demand
 news email services
 free email accounts
 desktop headlines
 pointcast
 pagenet

 DISCUSSION:
 message boards
 chat
 feedback

 SITE GUIDES:
 help
 contents
 search

 FASTER ACCESS:
 europe
 japan

 WEB SERVICES:
US

U.S.: Milosevic alone has power to stop airstrikes

graphic


 ALSO
Desperate refugees flee Kosovo, accuse Serbs of atrocities

West vows to maintain NATO pressure on Milosevic

Pentagon: NATO making progress, but campaign will take time

 

March 29, 1999
Web posted at: 10:05 p.m. EST (2021 GMT)


In this story:

Reports of atrocities are 'credible'

Albright to Russia: NATO stands firm

Attacks did not intensify 'ethnic cleansing'

Dole urges expansion of target list

War crimes trial?

RELATED STORIES, SITES icon



WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Amid indications that "genocide is unfolding in Kosovo," the U.S. State Department on Monday welcomed a new Russian diplomatic effort to resolve the crisis, but said the only way to stop NATO airstrikes against Yugoslavia would be for President Slobodan Milosevic to accept a U.S.-brokered peace plan.

President Clinton, after being briefed by his international policy advisers, called two European leaders Monday afternoon to discuss the situation in Kosovo and planned to talk with others in the evening, an administration official said.

After Clinton's afternoon calls to British Prime Minister Tony Blair and German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, the official said the three were in "complete unity" that Milosevic has only two paths: either "a path of peace or a path of more conflict."

Reports of atrocities are 'credible'

State Department spokesman James Rubin said reports of killings and mass expulsions of Kosovo Albanians "continue to accumulate" and are "credible."

He accused the Serbs of "abhorrent and criminal action on a maximum scale" and he detailed reports of executions of ethnic Albanian schoolteachers, a negotiator, an editor and hundreds of unarmed civilians.

Refugees continue to stream out of Kosovo and into neighboring areas, Rubin said. At least 60,000 had entered Albania "in the last 48 hours, according to the United Nations, and to a lesser extent into Montenegro and Macedonia," Rubin said.

He also disclosed that Secretary of State Madeleine Albright spoke again by telephone Monday with Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov after conferring with him Sunday night.

Albright to Russia: NATO stands firm

Rubin
Rubin calls reports of atrocities committed by Serbians "credible"  

In her conversations with Ivanov, officials said, Albright outlined NATO's demands that Milosevic pull his troops out of Kosovo before "a change in the diplomatic situation" can be reached.

The commitment from Milosevic would have to be "more than a momentary glimmer of hope," one official said.

During their phone conversations, sources said, Albright told Ivanov -- who is one of the delegates ordered by Russian President Boris Yeltsin to head to Belgrade in an effort to stop NATO airstrikes -- that once the Yugoslav offensive ends and troops are withdrawn from Kosovo, the political process could go forward.

One senior U.S. official said it "doesn't necessarily have to be Rambouillet."

According to the Rambouillet deal signed earlier this month by the Kosovar Albanians, Kosovo would be entitled to autonomy for a three-year interim period and NATO would send a 28,000-member peacekeeping force into Kosovo.

"Nobody's going to say we'll pass on the opportunity to get them to stop until they say the word Rambouillet," one official said.

"If Yugoslav forces were to have a realistic pullback," said another senior administration official, "that would build up momentum within NATO to take a little break."

At his briefing Monday, Rubin said that while U.S. officials wished the Russians success, "NATO will continue air operations until such time as President Milosevic halts his offensive and commits to a settlement based on the Rambouillet accords."

Milosevic, whose forces last year reportedly began a crackdown on those he calls Albanian "terrorists," objects to the peace plan provision calling for NATO peacekeeping troops in Kosovo.

NATO authorized the airstrikes last week after Milosevic refused to call off the attacks.

'We were faced with a choice here'

Lockhart
Lockhart says Milosevic would have proceeded with "ethnic cleansing" even without NATO airstrikes  

The White House insisted, meanwhile, that NATO airstrikes were not responsible for inflaming ethnic hatred in the Balkans.

Spokesman Joe Lockhart said U.S. officials believed Milosevic would have aggressively repressed Kosovar Albanians -- a process Lockhart and others in the administration have called "ethnic cleansing" -- no matter what.

Based on "everything we know about Milosevic and the Serbs, they were going ahead with this. And we were faced with a choice here. Do we act or do we not act?" Lockhart said.

By acting now, he said, the NATO allies are making the Yugoslav leader "pay a price that he will not be able to sustain," he said.

Dole urges expansion of target list

Also Monday, former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole urged NATO to "expand the target list of their ongoing bombing campaign."

In a written statement, Dole said the target list should include "top-level military, paramilitary, and police command-and-control and communications installations in Belgrade."

He also urged the use of "military means at our disposal to end Serbian atrocities immediately and to ensure that they cannot resume."

He concluded that he has "every confidence" in the U.S. military to help "end genocide in the Balkans once and for all."

Dole was enlisted by the Clinton administration as a special envoy to help convince the Kosovar Albanians to sign on to the Rambouillet accord.

War crimes trial?

NATO estimates that 500,000 ethnic Albanians have fled their homes over the past year of conflict and, as thousands more refugees streamed out of Kosovo on Monday, telling harrowing tales of atrocities by Serbian forces, Rubin again raised the specter of war-crimes trials.

He said even Milosevic could be held accountable and subject to imprisonment for life. "We have no doubt that he bears political responsibility" for the killing and uprooting of civilians, Rubin said.

The State Department spokesman also said Washington was "in close contact" with Russian authorities investigating Sunday's attack at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow.

A gunman, who remains at large, sprayed the building with automatic gunfire in an attack apparently linked to Russian protests against NATO airstrikes. No one was hurt and the embassy was open for business on Monday.

Correspondent Wolf Blitzer contributed to this report.


RELATED STORIES:
U.S. skeptical of Russian peace bid in Yugoslavia
March 29, 1999
KLA leader: Serbs executing, rounding up civilians
March 28, 1999
Russia: NATO strikes hurting relations with U.S.
March 28, 1999
Thousands of ethnic Albanians said to be fleeing Kosovo
March 28, 1999
5th day of NATO strikes begins; ethnic Albanians flee Kosovo
March 28, 1999

RELATED SITES:
Yugoslavia:
  • Federal Republic of Yugoslavia official site
      • Kesovo and Metohija facts
  • Serbia Ministry of Information
  • Serbia Now! News

Kosovo:
  • Kosova Crisis Center
  • Kosova Liberation Peace Movement
  • Kosovo - from Albanian.com

Military:
  • NATO official site
  • BosniaLINK - U.S. Dept. of Defense
  • U.S. Navy images from Operation Allied Force
  • U.K. Ministry of Defence - Kosovo news
  • U.K. Royal Air Force - Kosovo news
  • Jane's Defence - Kosovo Crisis

Media:
  • Independent Yugoslav radio stations B92
  • Institute for War and Peace Reporting
  • United States Information Agency - Kosovo Crisis

Other:
  • 1997 view of Kosovo from space - Eurimage
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

 LATEST HEADLINES:
SEARCH CNN.com
Enter keyword(s)   go    help

Back to the top   © 2001 Cable News Network. All Rights Reserved.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.
Read our privacy guidelines.