Yugoslavs ban CNN, two other networks from transmitting from Belgrade
March 24, 1999
Web posted at: 4:11 PM EST (2111 GMT)
BELGRADE (CNN) -- Serbian television officials banned CNN and two other networks from transmitting television pictures from the Yugoslav capital Wednesday following the start of NATO air strikes.
In addition to CNN, the American Broadcasting Company and a German television network were also banned from using state-owned facilities to transmit their reports.
Earlier in the day Yugoslav officials went to a hotel where the international media had set up a satellite transmission site and took away equipment essential to transmitting video.
Correspondents were told they would have to go through state-controlled television facilities in order to transmit pictures out of Belgrade.
CNN protested the ban and said it would seek other means to get its pictures out of Yugoslavia.
Clinton: Serb aggression made attack necessary
NATO attack on Yugoslavia begins
CNN Interactive Special: Strike on Yugoslavia
Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.