Explosion burns lifeguard during training
January 16, 1998
Web posted at: 1:10 p.m. EST (1810 GMT)
SAN DIEGO (CNN) -- A veteran San Diego lifeguard was knocked
off his feet Thursday by an explosion he set off
intentionally for a routine training exercise. He suffered
second-degree burns on one hand.
Charles Davey, who has 17 years of experience, was standing
on the deck of an old boat, clothed head-to-toe in protective
clothing, when he ignited the on-board fire for a drill to
practice fighting fires on boats.
Normally, one of his fellow lifeguards said, the fire remains
contained. This time, some vapors apparently collected in a
pocket and exploded, sending parts of the boat into the
Davey quickly jumped into the water and swam to the safety of
a rescue boat. While the fire burned itself out, lifeguards
rushed him to the hospital. He said he never panicked,
automatically jumping into the water to save himself.
San Diego lifeguards go through the training on boats up to
four times a year. Despite the accident, the training drills
are to continue.