CNN logo

Infoseek/Big Yellow

Pathfinder/Warner Bros

Barnes and Noble

Main banner

After short break, hostage-taker resumes contact with police

Child released
Another child is released Thursday morning   
Released hostage Denise Anderson has faith that the situation will be resolved peacefully.
icon 128K/9 sec. AIFF or WAV sound

Released hostage Sheri Gibson, whose son Corey was freed Wednesday, said she heard a hysterical reaction when she called the day-care center.
icon 204K/16 sec. AIFF or WAV sound

Upset by live TV report

December 18, 1997
Web posted at: 2:30 p.m. EST (1930 GMT)

PLANO, Texas (CNN) -- A gunman who had already freed dozens of his hostages at a day-care center released another one, reportedly his goddaughter, on Thursday morning but was believed to be still holding two of his own children captive.

Police communicating with him by telephone say he hung up on them but later began talking with them again.

In all, about 60 people, mostly children, have been released since the hostage situation began on Wednesday afternoon. No adults remain inside, officials say.

The latest child to be released is a 3-year-old girl. She's the goddaughter of the gunman, a teacher at the facility who had been held hostage told CNN.

Remaining inside are the suspect, identified by relatives and a neighbor as 33-year-old James Monroe Lipscomb Jr., and two children. One is said to be his child, the other his stepchild.

Early in the standoff, police said their dealings with Lipscomb over the telephone were going well. Plano Police Chief Bruce Glasscock described the man, armed with a handgun, as "calm."

Late Thursday morning, however, Lipscomb cut off communications. He had become "upset" by live television pictures from the scene, according to Plano police officer Carl Duke. (icon 230K/17 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)

Police asked television news organizations not to show live scenes from the standoff.

Although Lipscomb later resumed the telephone conversations, Glasscock said the talks were not as "amicable" as before. But the police chief said he does not believe the man intends to harm the remaining two children he holds.

The police chief told CNN there was no deadline for resolving the hostage situation, which started about 3 p.m. Wednesday.

FBI agents and Texas Rangers were also at the scene outside the Rigsbee Child Development Center.

Before the latest hostage release, Glasscock had told CNN "only a handful" of hostages remain but he wouldn't reveal the exact number. "We know (how many people are still being held) but we're not going to discuss that because that is a matter of our negotiations and we don't want to do anything that's going to hamper or jeopardize our negotiations," he said. .(icon 179/13 sec. AIFF or WAV sound)

Most of the hostages were released in the first four hours of the standoff. Some children were shaken up, but none was injured.

Police released only scattered details except to say the suspect had tried to rob someone outside a nearby bank shortly before entering the day-care center.

They refused to confirm the suspect's identity or reports that he is married to a day-care employee. Witnesses said the couple has marital problems.

Correspondent Brian Cabell contributed to this report.


Related stories:

Infoseek search  

Message Boards Sound off on our
message boards

You said it...
To the top

© 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Terms under which this service is provided to you.