Kaczynski's cabin steals the spotlight
Jurors knowledgeable of cabin contents
December 4, 1997
Web posted at: 10:55 p.m. EST (0355 GMT)
SACRAMENTO, California (CNN) -- Theodore Kaczynski's cabin, a shrouded shape on a flatbed truck, has become the momentary focus in the trial of the Unabomb suspect.
News crews and reporters followed the tarp-covered, 10-by-12-foot shack Thursday as it crossed the Nevada state line on its way to Sacramento.
"That made it a little bit hairy for the driver," said Mike
Wilson, operations vice president of Whitewood Trucking, a
Billings, Montana, carrier that specializes in oversized loads.
Even the plodding jury selection in a Sacramento courtroom was not immune to the cabin and its approach.
Although two more potential jurors for the trial were selected -- and two were excused due to hardship -- the cabin got plenty of attention.
Several potential jurors said they were aware that the cabin was on its way to Sacramento.
Asked by U.S. District Judge Garland Burrell Jr. what they know about it, most were able to list some of the items found inside, including a live bomb, bomb-making materials and a typewriter matching the one on which the Unabomber's manifesto was written.
Defense lawyers say the shack -- lacking all amenities,
including electricity and running water -- is the most tangible proof that Kaczynski is mentally ill.
Cabin bears 'wide load' sign
Prosecutors say the shack where Kaczynski lived as a hermit for more than 20 years is where he crafted and packaged small bombs to mail to his victims.
The defense is paying to transport the building 1,100 miles from Malmstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls, Montana -- where it had been stored for over a year -- to Sacramento.
The truck left Wednesday with the cabin bearing a "wide
load" sign. The truck and its driver spent the night in Pocatello, Idaho, before heading out again before dawn Thursday. By mid-day, the truck had crossed into Nevada.
The government believes the 55-year-old Kaczynski is responsible for a string of bombings that killed three people and injured 29 from 1978 to 1995. He is charged separately in a fatal bombing in New Jersey.
He faces a 10-count indictment accusing him in four bombings that killed two men and wounded two others. If convicted in the last of the attacks -- the only one to occur after the federal death penalty was reinstated -- he could be executed.
The jury pool now numbers 65. The judge, who wants to select the jury from a pool of 70, has tentatively scheduled opening statements for December 29.