3 mothers sue Boy Scouts of AmericaJanuary 14, 1997
Web posted at: 9:30 p.m. EST
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Three New York mothers are suing the Boy Scouts of America for $72 million, alleging their children were sexually assaulted by several teen-age campers last August. They contend the organization failed to properly supervise camp activities.
The women's lawyer, Michael Feldman, said Tuesday the boys, ages 6 through 10, were sodomized with a broomstick after being lured into a cabin at Camp Keowa near Narrowsburg, northwest of New York City. The lawsuit was filed Monday.
Although the children were treated at a hospital after camp officials learned of the incident, two mothers said they did not know what happened until their children came home and told them. One mother said her child suffered severe internal injuries. Two 13-year-old boys were charged with the assaults, but the court records were sealed.
"I'm totally outraged that the Boy Scout camp did not watch my 6-year-old," Denise Palmer said. "My son is traumatized."
Gary Laermer, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America, would not comment on the suit, but said the group has found that some of the boys' allegations had merit. He said it was the first time in the Scouts' 87-year history that there had been allegations of abuse of campers by other campers.
Related site:Note: Pages will open in a new browser window
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.
© 1997 Cable News Network, Inc.
Terms under which this service is provided to you.