State Department releases list of crash victims
April 4, 1996
Web posted at: 6:20 p.m. EST
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A delegation of American corporate and government leaders were among the 35 killed Wednesday when the plane carrying Commerce Secretary Ron Brown crashed in Croatia.
The State Department released the grim news Thursday, providing the official list of passengers and crew.
Also accompanying Brown on the economic development trip were Jim Lewek, a Central Intelligence Agency analyst; Lee Jackson of the Treasury Department; and Nathaniel Nash, The New York Times' Frankfurt bureau chief.
Two Croatians, the only non-Americans, also died -- Dragica Lendic Bebek, an interpreter, and Niksa Antonini, a photographer.
Secretary of State Warren Christopher called the deaths an "immeasurable loss for America, the United States government, and for the families of those aboard the aircraft."
The State Department's official list of employees on the plane is as follows:
Department of Commerce:
- Ron Brown, U.S. commerce secretary
- Duane Christian, Brown's security officer
- Adam Darling, Brown's confidential assistant
- Gail Dobert, deputy director for the Office of Business Liaison
- Carol Hamilton, Brown's press secretary
- Kathryn Hoffman, Brown's senior advisor for strategic scheduling and special initiatives
- Steve Kaminski, commercial counselor for U.S. and foreign commercial services
- Kathy Kellogg, confidential assistant in the Office of Business Liaison
- Charles Meissner, assistant secretary of commerce for international trade
- William Morton, deputy assistant secretary for international economic development
- Lawrence Payne, special assistant for U.S. and foreign commercial service
- Naomi Warbasse, international trade specialist
- Barry L. Conrad, chairman and CEO of Barrington Group, Miami, Florida
- Paul Cushman III, chairman and CEO of Riggs International Banking Corp., Washington, D.C.
- Robert E. Donovan, president and CEO of ABB Inc., Norwalk, Connecticut
- Claudio Elia, chairman and CEO of Air & Water Technologies Corp., Somerville, New Jersey
- David Ford, president and CEO of InterGuard Corp. of Guardian International, Auburn Hills, Michigan
- Frank Maier, president of Enserch International Ltd., Dallas, Texas
- Walter Murphy, senior vice president of AT&T Submarine Systems Inc., Morristown, New Jersey
- Leonard Pieroni, chairman and CEO of Parsons Corp., Pasadena, California
- John A. Scoville, chairman of Harza Engineering Co., Chicago
- Donald Terner, president of Bridge Housing Corp., San Francisco, California
- Stuart Tholan, president of Bechtel-Europe/Africa/Middle East/Southwest Asia, San Francisco, California
- Robert A. Whittaker, chairman and CEO of Foster Wheeler Energy International, Clinton, New Jersey
- Captain. Ashley Davis, pilot
- Captain Tim Schafer, pilot
- Staff Sergeant Gerald Aldrich, flight mechanic
- Staff Sergeant Robert Farrington Jr., steward
- Sergeant Cheryl Turnege, steward
- Sergeant Shelly Kelly, steward
FeedbackSend us your comments.
Selected responses are posted daily.
Copyright © 1996 Cable News Network, Inc.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.