CNN US News

First U.S. ships head to search site

Cuba Planes

February 25, 1996
Web posted at: 12:30 a.m. EST

From CNN Military Affairs Correspondent Jamie McIntyre

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Atlantic Command, three Coast Guard ships, and a Navy frigate were speeding to the site where two small private planes were believed to have been shot down Saturday afternoon by Cuban military fighter jets.

A spokesman said seas were calm, but that there was no moon at the site, making the search more difficult. The area is in international waters 16 to 18 miles north of the Havana coastline. No debris had been found yet, but a Coast Guard spokesman said two oil slicks were spotted earlier.

The first U.S. ship, the Coast Guard vessel Nantucket, was due to arrive at the scene at 9:30 p.m. EST. The Coast Guard Buoy Tender Papaw and the Navy Frigate John Hall were scheduled to arrive At 3:30 a.m. EST. By 10 a.m. Sunday, they were to be joined by the Coast Guard cutter Vigilant.

The search helicopter that was in the area had to return to Miami because of low fuel, but it was being replaced by a Coast Guard C-130, which can fly for seven or eight hours.

Related stories:



Feedback



[Imagemap]
| CONTENTS | SEARCH | CNN HOME PAGE | MAIN US NEWS PAGE |

Copyright © 1996 Cable News Network, Inc.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.